1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Ugh that missed putt in the playoff.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It wasn't even the worst missed putt down the stretch. And if you count Rose yesterday, the missed shortie was the dominant theme of this event.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Spieth had a missed shortie today (along with a chunk in front of 1) and two on Friday.

The Xander horrible horseshoe was brutal.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the guy cutting the holes messed up, didn't do it right, or the cutting tool was not right. Instead of tumbling in, they swirled around the edge and came out. I honestly don't know, but I wonder.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Morikawa missed that shortie in the playoff but he also had that fairly short one on 18 to win. Damn credit to Berger for hanging in there and then birdie on 18 to take the lead in the clubhouse.

Hard to believe Schauffle missed out on playoff due to a 3 jack from what 25 ft? Guess I don't feel so bad now when I 3 jack (hate that, worse shot(s) in golf).

6. MileHigh

Spieth triples his third hole. Then shoots 29 on his back nine, including six straight birdies, to tie for the lead at Harbor Town.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Spieth's deal is all in his head. Every last bit of it. When he believes in his shots and plays with confidence, he might be the very best player on the planet. But when stuff gets to him and he becomes hesitant, he falls completely apart.

I'm thinking of the 15th (I think) in Round 3 last week, when he cut the corner on a dogleg with a driver and nailed it to within 80 yards. One of the commentators -- Faldo, maybe? -- remarked at what a confident shot it was. Then Spieth started overthinking his next shot and backed off it. He wound up chunking it short of the green, then left his pitch something like 12 feet short and missed the putt to turn a magnificent drive into a bogey.

8. MileHigh

100 percent that it's all in his head. Even before he had his run of majors, he would call himself a "mental midget" after his rounds. But, yeah, he thinks way too much and gets himself into trouble. And for the past couple of years, he's been getting into contention on Thursdays and Fridays, then goes into a rabbit hole on the weekend. He was pathetic on Sunday at Colonial, a place he routinely tears up.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think he's a great kid and I really want him to be the great player he can be. I'm just not sure he'll let himself live up to his ability.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The latest NLU podcast is an hour interviewing Jim Nantz. Lots of good 'inside baseball' on the telecast.
    I have become a huge fan of that podcast

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Those guys have carved out their own niche quite nicely. I used to work with one of them, good guy. Their post-tournament pods were one of my go-tos on Monday mornings, back in the good old days when I would drive to the office.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Piercy +5 today, oof

Draft saved Draft deleted