1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Send those fuckers out at 7 0o am on Sunday, November 24

Be done before the 1:00 Eastern NFL window

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sunrise isn't until 7 a.m. on the 15th. Sunset is 5:25 p.m. Even if the bare minimum, 50, make the cut and you go off in threesomes off both tees, you're not getting that done by 1 p.m.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's a simple trade-off. Fox will let CBS have the 4:25 game window on Open Sunday and CBS will let Fox have it on Masters Sunday. Hell, let them have the whole day, the 1 p.m. regionals too. For CBS not to show the Masters is unthinkable. Also dangerous. Same goes for Fox. It's not like NBC wouldn't love to poach the Masters and also get back the Open. Wonder what the fine print in the rights contracts say? We're not talking losing a Super Bowl here, just a regular NFL Sunday. As for the Saturdays, I am increasingly doubtful college football will have a season. And if they do, one lost weekend is no big deal to the networks or fans. There are like 30 games on my TV every weekend.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't see the greencoats going for that. "You're puttin' our tooooonamint where?"

5. MileHigh

You could put all of the byes over those two weekends, though for the U.S. Open, that's Week 2 of the NFL season.

Which is leading me to think, again, the NFL and the colleges already know they aren't starting on time, if at all.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Guys, the Masters is a niche fucking event that gets greater than normal play here, not in real life.
    Its the first big golf event of the year, and a symbolic birth of spring. People love it in April.

Put it in November - I aint a horticulturist, but ain't gonna be many azelueas blooming. If Tiger isn't involved, there isn't going to be that much interest.

They aren't moving a whole NFL Sunday for Scott Fucking Piercy in the final round.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. MileHigh

It's a winter course. It closes soon after the Masters and reopens in mid-October.

It's the Masters. Different time of year. People will tune in for the novelty of it.

8. playthrough

I bet a whole lot of horticulturists will tune in to see what the greenskeepers cook up in November.

I'll agree that the leaderboard will dictate a lot on the Sunday rating, but up until then it will still do very well. And it won't be anywhere else but on main CBS, with Jim Nantz extracting himself from Bob Kraft's rear end for a glorious weekend at Augusta.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If I’m Augusta I change the logo from the United States in green with a flag to an autumn colored leaf with a flag as a one off. You’ll make a killing off of people who want that rare, one-time, Autumn Masters logo.

playthrough likes this.
  10. playthrough

I dabble a little in that stuff, needless to say this week was like Christmas and sucks to lose it. Would be fun if some companies go for a different look in November or if it's just all the stuff held over from now. But I'm guessing the lead time to make goods is a few months and do you want to risk that for an event that still isn't guaranteed?

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Good point, especially with supply chains interrupted. That said, they do turn around those championship t shirts and hats pretty quickly.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Y'alls back-and-forths about make-believe TV schedules for events that most likely will not happen but if they do are 6+ months away are akin to Tigerboard's fascination with Mizzou unis.

Draft saved Draft deleted