1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Would have been something to behold. Monahan said that DisneyWorld closing forced their hand as much as anything else, which was interesting. But that's also how much the Mouse stirs everything in Florida.

maumann and Chef2 like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They *might* have been able to pull it off since it's outdoors and there's no contact. But, yeah, it wasn't viable. And it wasn't going to happen unless everyone got tested like Rory suggested.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I honestly think that the golf industry as a whole might benefit from all of this. Walk, or at the very least, don't share a cart. But you're outside and can stay far away from everyone, even if you're playing with them. The golf course might be one of the true safe spaces right now.

maumann likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree. The season's almost here in the Midwest and I can't wait. Love walking, too. Hopefully the golf industry can take advantage properly -- the economy's gonna suck, so be liberal with discounts and such. If courses have a rule against outside coolers and food, let it go for a while because people might not want to hit your snack bar or indoor restaurant. Just get people out, whatever it takes.

maumann, Cosmo and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Brooks Koepka and Jon Rahm joined Rory McIlroy in saying they are not interested in joining the Premier Golf League. That's No. 1 (Rory), No. 2 (Rahm) and No. 3 (Koepka) in the world turning thumbs down.
    They're dead in the water. The Saudis will save their money.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Unless you're in the foursome in front of me. I've been contributing liberally to the amount of golf balls found in Florida waters. I think the only hazards I haven't hit yet are the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Saudis have a LOT less money than they did a couple weeks ago

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks a professional golf even event without fans can be operated under current circumstances is fooling themselves. You're talking hundreds of people in close quarters to make it go, including hotel and other off-site facilities.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I won't shed a tear for that.

10. MileHigh

PGA Tour now canceled through the Nelson (May 10). Next up: PGA in San Francisco.

11. MileHigh

And the PGA is postponed. No golf until at least Memorial Day weekend.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

LPGA player speculates the Masters will be held Oct. 5-12 after hotel cancels her hotel reservation.

Hotels in Augusta immediately raise their prices and begin to sell out.

Draft saved Draft deleted