1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Does anybody know why they staggered the 10th hole tee shots on Saturday and Sunday?

It would have been odd if someone from the bottom half of the leaderboard caught fire.... and ended his round at #9.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

CBS doesn’t like Varner III even though he’s the nicest guy. He was a co-leader and Homa got more screen time.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Im going to concede the Varner 10th hole mess up

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

CBS pays a fuckton of money to the PGA Tour for the rights to broadcast these events. As long as the checks keep direct depositing they don't give a shit.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's accurate, though many believe Tour had a small hand in nudging McCord and Kostis out and getting Love in. But they're certainly not going to tell CBS to cut out the CEO interviews, updates on the Aon Risk-Reward Challenge and the other assorted bullspit that isn't golf.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They do this on West Coast events so CBS can get off by 3 p.m. or 3:30 p.m. PST so 60 Minutes can be seen at its regularly scheduled time.

poindexter likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"followed by an all-new episode of Murder, She Wrote."

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Except on the West Coast.

swingline likes this.
  9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

nope. CBS has been so bad and lazy for so long. It’s amazing how many of you guys don’t see it. For anyone who watches golf regularly it is the most maddening thing week in, week out. They are awful. There is a reason that the Tour is making them fire Lance Barrow, the lead producer, as part of the new TV deal.

MileHigh and TigerVols like this.
  10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Dustin Johnson just about won the tournament years ago by doing this, and CBS had no footage of his “front” (second) nine. If you want more evidence their broadcast is shit.

(Also the reason they do it is daylight and a big field. Less of an issue now that it’s an a invitational and not an open, but I think it helps the TV window in theory.)

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Does CBS do any sport well, other than the NCAA Tournament? Even their NFL coverage has declined from its peak. Whole lot of grime on the Tiffany.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Nantzy Inc. on holiday for a bit now.
    Mexico and all of Florida belong to the peacock. In the minority here, and that's ok....but I can't wait until Hicks is done at NBC. I'm sure he's a delightful fellow, but God Almighty.....I just can't stand to listen to him. I'm still in awe that them or Fox didn't snap up McCord and/or Kostis.

Draft saved Draft deleted