1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Notables not in Mexico next week:

Koepka
    Fowler
    Day
    Cantlay
    Rose
    Stenson
    Woods

Very curious if Tiger plays Honda next week in his backyard or waits and goes Bay Hill-Players.

I tend to think he plays Honda but I also thought he was a lock to play Mexico with the free points to get him closer to qualifying for Tokyo.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Nice trio at the top with Rory, Scott and Kuchar. Give me Rors.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Interesting that Spieth is playing in Mexico, but he's chasing points. That's playing five straight weeks, which you don't see a lot of.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Looking at notoriously short armed Kuchar out there in his white polo and his khaki pants, and I’m wondering did he replace one of his golf clubs with a tiki torch in his bag?

5. TigerVols

Spent a lot of time in the car yesterday and listened to many hours of Riviera's coverage on the PGA SiriusXM Channel and the PGA should demand that entire crew be parachuted into the CBS broadcast...to a (wo)man they were more entertaining and informative.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Best moment of today's broadcast was watching Adam Scott unknowingly bomb a drive down the middle of the fairway ... with the group playing ahead of him waiting to hit their approach shots.

Luckily, the ball bounced between a couple of players and their caddies.

I can relate: as a weekend hacker, I've been hit into, accidentally hit it on a green where people were putting, and — most of all — waited to swing thinking I might hit it into someone, then dubbed it 30 yards.

maumann likes this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

CBS was so bad that this is the No. 1 article in Apple News’ trending list this morning: CBS Sports catches heat for broadcast mistakes during Genesis Invitational — Golf Digest

8. TigerVols

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think CBS has another tournament until the Masters, and that's a great thing on multiple levels.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, NBC takes over weekend coverage until Augusta.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So the first 2 complaints were an incorrect score from the women's Australia tournament, and s single highlight from the Korn Ferry tour?
    I wondered why they didn't show the Varner topper when it was mentioned, but they end up showing it.

And the leaderboard was packed, and they didn't mention 2 nobodies enough. Ok.

This is nitpicking.

Webster likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You can't tell viewers that the LEADER cold-topped a shot and not show it within moments of it happening. Replaying it an hour later doesn't count. I get that golf is a hard sport to broadcast, there's lots of stuff happening at once and you can't show every guy, blah blah -- the golf Twitter mobs do go a little over the top with their anger -- but CBS is doing a profoundly awful job. There was a tee shot that Adam Scott pulled into the left rough on the back nine on Sunday, and they went to the KonicaMinolta SwingVision 2000 BizHub SuperCamera and either Finch or Faldo did a voice-over slobber job of Scott's swing -- whereas if Kostis was still there, he'd have spotted the one little error in Scott's swing that created the pull.

If you want to pick out any one thing then maybe that's nitpicking, but when you put the entire body of work together, CBS is failing badly and everyone seems to recognize it except the PGA Tour.

2muchcoffeeman and qtlaw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted