1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I’m a handsy player prone to hooks off the tee. Next time I regrip I’m going midsize in my D and 4W. I’m going to do 1-2 e tea wraps on the irons and reduce the taper more than I normally do.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That's great advice. I'm getting my clubs regripped this winter and will ask the pro about it.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Jumbo grips have to be ordered direct.

maumann likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Jumbo grip (Supersoft) was fantastic for the putter to keep the wrist and hands out of my stroke. I'm not so sure about going that way for my regular grips but may try with a wedge first.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Getting my clubs regripped is like getting a new set of clubs (I do every year or 2 at most).

maumann likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I have my Dad's set of Spalding irons, probably 60+ years old, leather grips are smooth but all in one piece. From when stuff was built to last. Only recently stopped using them, they play like hammers but helped me groove my swing over the years.

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The guy who does my grips wants people who hook to use more tape under the grip at the butt end, then use less tape at the end of the grip, under the right hand (if you're right-handed).

8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Funny that’s opposite to what I’ve been told. It also makes for a lot of taper. I think lots depends on where you hold the grip in your hand - fingers or palm.

I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules. I find less taper helps me hold off with my lower hand and not smother the ball so much.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Like hitting a butter knife all the way through the bag, I'm guessing.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My mom was at a yard sale two weeks ago and they were giving away old clubs for free, including a few wooden shafted ones. She asked if I wanted any of them and I said “yes, everything you can fit in your trunk.”

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

For one thing you're supposed to hold the club too deep in the palms.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My clubs had hard rubber grips -- a set of Wilson Blue Ridge. A friend took a look and recommended -- vehemently -- that I get them re-gripped. I did about two years ago at a PGA Superstore. When I went to pick them up, I asked if everything was OK. He said yeah, he had a lot of trouble getting the old grips off, but he finally did. I told them they had only been on there for 45 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted