1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Jay Berger was famous for his very funky serve. He had a shoulder issue and couldn't take his arm back, so he just rested the racket on his shoulder as he tossed the ball. He got into the top 10 in the world at one point, I believe.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yes I definitely remember him as a top 10 player, I recall him as a grinder like Brad Gilbert.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

My guess is no for November. Hopefully things will have improved by April.

4. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

I think they might try but with a small number, maybe something like 3,000-5,000 a day. Augusta being Augusta, you can picture them telling everyone at the front gate, “You get within 5 feet of another person and out you go.”
    Not that this has anything to do with anything, but not even ANGC wants to eat all that 2020-logoed merchandise.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think they have to worry about merch, fans or no fans in attendance. The tourney will be in prime online holiday shopping season. Many a Dad or Granddad will be getting Augusta National caps, shirts, golf balls, etc. in their Christmas stockings.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They've never made their stuff available online. The allure of Augusta National/Masters stuff is you can only buy it that week, at the club -- unless you're a member.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

True, but wouldn't they at least consider it as a one-off if there are no fans allowed? They could set up a VPN for ticket holders for 2020 if it came to that.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Went back and watched the last 5 or so holes again. Nick Faldo is good, and bad, at his job.

The good: Predicting that someone would hole out from off the green to make the major move.

The bad: Repeating the prediction a couple more times AFTER Morikawa did exactly that. As if, he had no recollection of it. After the first repeat, Nantz gave him a lifeline but he ignored it, and repeated it again later when Tony had an even harder pitch. Weird.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Imagine if Phil was calling it instead, that would’ve been fantastic.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Phil would be the Tony Romo of golf analysts.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Faldo's really not that great. But CBS loves accents.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I listen pretty intently and I think Faldo is pretty good.

Chef2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted