1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, "NASCAR PR" has a descending number of levels, each acting as a gatekeeper who requires a certain level of schmoozing to get any relevant information.

1. Sanctioning body (NASCAR)
    2. Series specific (Cup, Busch, Trucks, West)
    2. Manufacturers (Chevy, Ford, Toyota)
    3. Ancillary (Goodyear, Sunoco, TV networks)
    4. Track media relations
    5. Team media relations (Penske, Ganassi, Hendricks, Gibbs, Roush)
    6. Driver handlers

Imagine if you were covering a Red Sox-Yankees game in the Bronx -- and had to get permissions from PR folks from MLB, the American League, Boston, New York, Yankee Stadium and Mariano Rivera's agent just to do a feature story on Rivera. That's NASCAR in a nutshell.

If I wanted to do a story on repaving at Darlington and wanted multiple sources, for example, and wasn't able to attend the actual media day -- I'd need to check with NASCAR PR, the track, Goodyear, the manufacturers who tested, the teams who tested and the drivers who tested. It's crazy.

The track folks, without a doubt, are the most accommodating people in the sport. They'll go out of their way to do whatever they can doing your time at their track. The Chevy, Ford and Toyota people are next best, because they quickly produce pre- and post-race quotes from drivers that you might not be to find or transcribe long interviews. Near the end of my time, NASCAR was getting a third-party transcription service to handle in-media room quotes from the winners and polesitters.

Now, getting back to the ACTUAL NASCAR public relations/media relations group, the palace revolt started about the time Jim Hunter died. Before then, it was relatively easy to get access. However, NASCAR had an internal battle between a faction that was fine with the media status quo and another that demanded more positive stories from the media -- and willing to twist arms at the corporate level -- particularly with its "partners." In other words, kiss ass and don't tell the emperor he has no clothes.

This was about the time NASCAR was getting savaged about abandoning Darlington, the Car of Tomorrow and the Chase, all hated by the public and press alike. NASCAR hired an ex political advisor/spinmaster to direct/dictate objectives, then added more marketing musclemen. Guess what? Ratings, attendance and interest fell off just as quickly than before. Wasn't the media's fault after all!

That faction took over, many good and helpful longtime NASCAR PR folks got the boot, and things haven't been the same since. I'm guessing the recent wave of layoffs hasn't helped matters at all.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

When I mentioned it earlier, I guess I was really talking more about track media folks than NASCAR. As I said, the SMI folks treated us like family. Even that started changing the last 5-6 years I was in the newspaper business. I haven't covered a race since 2012, so I have no idea what it's like now.
    The best I was ever treated was by NHRA - the folks from Glendora, Winston back in the day, the drivers themselves, and their PR folks. Some of the crew chiefs seemed like dicks, but I really think that was just the way those folks' brains are wired and not a personality flaw or not trying to be helpful; they are just so technical that they don't have social skills.
    Even at their peak, Force and Bernstein were so accommodating it's hard to believe. They wanted to do interviews (unlike NASCAR drivers). Don Schumacher was about the same way. I covered enough national events that when he saw me anywhere near his trailers he'd usually ask if I was being taken care of.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I have heard and read that about the NHRA. The drivers could not be more accommodating, and they will all but write your story if you give them half a chance (not set the narrative, merely trying to hammer home how helpful and decent the folks are).

NASCAR should take copious notes on how the NHRA does it - or, again, pick Richard Petty's brain on how to treat fans - but they think they can PR, strongarm and will their way back. Hint to NASCAR: Announcing nonstop changes to format and corporate structure will NOT inspire confidence.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Renowned NASCAR artist Sam Bass, whose iconic car designs included the “Rainbow Warrior” look of Jeff Gordon’s first Cup ride and whose work also adorned race-day program covers, died Saturday after battling kidney disease. He was 57.

Renowned NASCAR artist Sam Bass passes away | NASCAR.com

5. Driftwood

That sucks.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He was that young? Wow. Seemed like he’d been around forever.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have told this story around here before, but the first event I covered that wasn't a high school game was the NHRA Gatornationals long ago. Our small paper's coverage area included the hometown of Al Hofmann, a big rival of John Force, so when the drags came to Gainesville every year someone from the paper (usually the young guy) would catch up with him for a feature.

I went to the race and figured I'd try to get Force, so I went to his hauler and he invited me inside for a 15-minute chat -- for a story about another driver in a small paper he surely had never heard of. It was mindblowing then and even more mindblowing later as I discovered how other sports operated. Imagine going to Jeff Gordon's hauler as a cub reporter and him inviting you in. The odds of you driving his car in a race are almost better.

8. Driftwood

I was actually sitting down with Force in a similar situation when he told me Kenny Irwin had been killed.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Once had a really good chat with a top guy from SuperStock. I really found it interesting that he enjoyed the mechanical challenges of the job more than the racing.

10. Driftwood

This is what's killing NASCAR. The race has been stopped for a half hour with nine laps to go. Race the race. Run the friggin advertised distance. Stop having predetermined stops.
    My wife is over hear bitching like a crazy person, so any enjoyment I had watching the race is long gone.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The next time I'm bitching about how long the last two minutes of a basketball game take, I should remember the last 10 laps of a plate race.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah this is really, really stupid. Almost as stupid as the fake Mustang and Camaro brake lights. Almost.

Draft saved Draft deleted