1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Three "Big Ones" at Talladega today - the latest with 7 laps to go. Crazy. Goughan did a full mid-air flip and landed on his tires.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

His post-wreck interview was hilarious.
    "The Russian judge docked me a little because I didn't keep it straight."

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hell of a finish. Blaney wins by a bumper, and damn if I can tell whether Hamlin or Almirola was third or fourth.

Joey Logano running around the track with giant sheets of duct tape holding his car together is pretty damn awesome, too. That's some old school Bristol stuff right there.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jimmie Johnson announces 2020 will be his last full season. Can't help noting this is the first NASCAR post in 37 days.

maumann likes this.
  5. DanOregon

I posted a bit on the NASCAR birds thing. Too bad about JJ, but if you aren't competitive and have more to lose than gain, it is time to call it a day. I'm guessing he'll keep racing here and there. It's really too bad there isn't a driver who could energize the audience. Something between Jean Girard and Malcolm X who could drive.

maumann likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The whole championship went pretty much unnoticed. I flipped over a bit Sunday but didn't watch the whole thing.
    I was watching the NHRA finals in Pomona.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The NHRA is so great. Always wanted to do more with them when I was an inkstainer but the interest just hasn't grown as much as one would expect for a sport with great personalities, danger, noise and a perfect short-attention-span format.

maumann likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Colin Kaepernick is looking for something to do.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Never been to an NHRA event, but I understand there’s a lot of down time between runs. I think this was the problem ESPN had when it did those broadcasts.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If you consider strictly the pro classes, yes, there is more than an hour between sessions. The track doesn't sit idle, though. From Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon, it's pretty much non-stop racing. If you don't want to watch the sportsman categories, go tour the pits.

playthrough and maumann like this.
  11. DanOregon

maumann likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They can spin it (poorly) all they want, but not only is the lack of a title sponsor alarming but those four companies don't represent any "new" money in the sport.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted