1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

TigerVols, didn't you take LeBron to his first NASACR race to Bristol? What was that like?*

*Figured this was as good a place as any for the story...

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Why, yes, I did...back in my WWL days. He was super friendly but what I remembered most is that he signed about 100,000 autographs that day, and couldn't be missed...no, not because he was the only African American in the bowl (although he was) but because of course he was about 12 inches higher than everyone in the crowd. Seeing his bobbing head bouncing high above the sea of people was hilarious.

Anyway, yikes:

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That second pic had to be an Xfinity or Truck race, right? Nevertheless, Bristol is absolutely stuck -- can't take out a grandstand in Turn 3 or the backstretch like so many other tracks have, nor can you really tarp anything over in a subtle way. Or have a "renovation" that magically cuts the capacity in half -- well, you could, but no one wants to foot that bill.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Why did you take him?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The first pic is mid-race, the second is at some point during the pre-race stuff. No cars, lots of people on the track. Don't know if it's during the anthem or not, but no one is standing so probably not.
    I'm sure the crowds have declined over the past 10 years, but those two pictures are not quite equal.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Says alot about the state of the sport that it's been three months since an update. One thing that NASCAR could do to keep people invested is do something with it's more recent former drivers. Outside of Junior and Gordon are any of them a noticeable presence in the sport at all?

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone wants Carl Edwards back.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Even though it ended because of weather, that was a fun finish on Sunday. Guy in his third Cup race, who knows he has no chance in hell if it goes back to green, almost literally catching lightning in a bottle to win.

10. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

From a town of less than 3,000.

I’m split on how I feel about drivers who win in that fashion (or under caution) but they put themselves in position in the right time. Luck is frequently a factor in racing and he made the most of his.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't so much mind winning under caution because it's still on the track. I'm not a fan of what happened Sunday, especially with the big one hitting, but I understand sometimes these things happen.
    We were driving Sunday. My wife was on twitter and told me who won. I said, "Who?"

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I barely follow Nascar at all anymore, but when I see a story it's usually about whatever car setup package they're running and how the drivers either hate it or really hate it. To me, that stuff is beyond tiresome.

Draft saved Draft deleted