1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Daytona/Indy swap on the 2020 schedule is baffling. I know the weather hasn't done the Firecracker 400 many favors, but it's still a trip to Daytona Beach on a holiday weekend with fireworks. Here in Indy, there's always track fatigue after Memorial Day weekend and asking people to come back five weeks later for a mediocre Nascar race is a major stretch. And you're not getting fireworks after the race 'cause it's not at night. It's also darned hot, which is what led IMS to beg Nascar to let them go to September two years ago.

Love the Pocono doubleheader. Just don't run 400-milers for both races.

maumann likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Even an April Fools story on Carl Edwards returning in 2020 to drive for Penske is boring.

3. DanOregon

4. playthrough

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Been meaning to follow up on this. I guess I get why they did it, but I hate that Daytona/Indy swap too. The second Daytona race always felt special, being under the lights on that holiday weekend, and as the halfway point of the season. I doubt it'll be just another race when they go back there, but it does feel like it's lost some of its identity.
    I suppose it'll take the place of the second Bristol race (now in mid-September) as that last hurrah of summer racing before football season starts.
    I kind of dig the idea of the Pocono doubleheader. Not just as something different and unique, but anything that breaks up that monotonous northern summer swing is welcome.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Look how empty Bristol is. It's a snapshot of NASCAR as a whole.

8. DanOregon

I went to a summer race there years ago. It was like a Redneck Woodstock and fun just to see all of the different license plates from all over the country. They really should keep that a summer race somewhere. It's not exactly close to a major population center.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I wonder how Bristol moving to September will affect that. I suppose it’ll be a little cooler.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I think moving it to September is a mistake because they are going to run up against SEC football.

11. playthrough

Bristol was on my bucket list years ago, but what's the point now if the place is 1/3 full?

wicked likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bristol is a helluva sensory event...the way the earth rumbles as the cars go past.

Remind me one day to tell you about the time I took LeBron James to his first NASCAR race there. /truestory. #humblebrag

Draft saved Draft deleted