1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bill France Jr. died of lung cancer. Jim France by all accounts is in peak health. I suspect there is a plan, but there’s no valid reason they have to “name a successor.” They’d put the whole thing in Lesa’s hands if they have to, but I believe the preference is to turn it over to Ben in about 5 years.

Phelps is as outside the family as they’re going to get. Part of the France family’s current drive to take ISC private is so the companies won’t be working as what could be seen as cross purposes. I suspect any “cutting the schedule” won’t take place until after the current TV deals expire; under current circumstances, cutting the schedule down would make the series less valuable because they’d have to redo the TV deals (and track operators get the vast majority of the TV revenue).

Azrael and maumann like this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

This, BTW, was the most shocking revelation of Speedweeks in Daytona.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Nashville is becoming/has become a huge tourist destination ... and by that I mean a huge pain in the ass for those of us who need to be there overnight 3-4 times a year.
    I don't begrudge anyone going to Nashville. I get pissed at the drunk tourists on lower Broadway at 10 a.m when all you want to do is get down the street from one place to another.
    The big beef is with lodging. The same hotel room I used to stay in for less than $100 a night fewer than 10 years ago will now cost you $350 a night. Even with yearly inflation, that's shit. It's honestly not owners gouging. It's the going rate because of the surge of tourists. The rooms that used to be fairly empty are all now full.
    If you don't want to pay an arm and a leg, you have to stay in Lebanon. I live 3:30-3:45 from Nashville. Many times when I need to be there and what used to be an overnight stay, I just drive down and back to avoid staying in a hotel.
    I really hope how soon Nashville isn't cool again.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, Nashville has achieved its dream of becoming Atlanta and Charlotte; alas, that has recently meant the closing of The Gold Rush, the Nashville Bread Co and a handful of other little things that made it Nashville.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Gotta be a massive price break from Vegas, no matter how pricey Nashville is becoming. And Nashville can blow it out whereas in Vegas it's just another convention.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So from the Waldorf-Astoria to Vegas to Nashville in the span of 10 years. I'm guessing it'll be held at the Dixie Stampede in Myrtle Beach by 2025.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

And in Nashville, the NASCAR crowd won’t have to compete with the National Finals Rodeo crowd for hotel rooms &c.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But wasn't this year's Daytona 500 the lowest-rated in race history, while still being the "most watched" event of the weekend? People can make the numbers say whatever they need them to say.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I truly had no idea Nascar was in Fontucky this weekend and I am a local consumer of SoCal sports news.

But I do know F1 starts tomorrow night!

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted