1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Apparently there were layoffs today at the sanctioning body. Sorry to start a new thread with that, though I suspect a lot of the discussion in Nascar this year won't be along very positive lines.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Whoever wrote that used to work in newspapers I'm guessing....

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Things aren't getting any better for this thread.
    J.D. Gibbs passed away last night at age 49.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Terrible news about J.D. One of the nicest people in the industry. Gone way too soon.

Glen Wood of the Wood Brothers is now in hospice.

EDIT: Ganassi and Roush drop their Xfinity teams. At one time, those teams were so flush with cash, they had multiple drivers on "development" deals.

And media relations expert Mike Zizzo was let go by Texas Motor Speedway. The Mexican food buffet days were legendary.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Has there been any talk of tracks straight-up abandoning dates? With this TV deal probably not, but I’m talking down the road.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the tracks are still getting 65 percent of the TV money. So they basically don't have to sell a single ticket to make money. But all bets are off when the current deal expires or FOX/NBC ask to renegotiate because of ratings/ad revenue.

Some of the 50 or so NASCAR layoff victims were "lifers," from what I'm hearing. SpaceX is also pinkslipping 10 percent of its workforce in an effort to "get leaner." Lesson: If you're not related to the name on the letterhead, your continued employment is always in peril.

"Appreciate your lifelong commitment to making us rich. Enjoy the token severance and don't let the door hit you on your way out." -- Anyone not named France or Musk.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ganassi dropped its Xfinity team because DC Solar and its owner Jeff Carpoff are having federal prosecution issues. Roush’s problems go back years and are best symbolized by former Roush capo Geoff Smith telling the press in 2006 or so that he was more interested in drivers who represent sponsors well and relate to VIPs well rather than drivers who win races. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Was it ever announced what JD Gibbs had? It wasn't from an injury right?

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The story I read this morning just said some kind of degenerative disease.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If it was ALS, I'm glad his misery is over. Worst thing on this or any other planet.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Some kind of degenerative brain syndrome, intimated to date to his football days.

Draft saved Draft deleted