1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019-2020 college hoops thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Nov 5, 2019.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Largely overlooked but Jeff Capel has taken Pitt from winless in the ACC two years ago under hairless disaster Kevin Stallings to an NCAA bubble team in 24 months later. Considering the napalm that dipshit set off in his two years in Oakland, Capel may be doing one of the best turnaround jobs in the country.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Baylor has no wow factor, and Smart has fallen so far as a coach.

Smart used to have a great system, but now he doesn't use it. It also seems he cannot develop talent or the people who were doing that was left in Richmond.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Smart wasn't stupid. he's making more than twice what he made. His 4 years coaching Texas paid him what 9-10 years of coaching at VCU would have paid him. He"ll still get a nice job at a lower tier ACC or Big East or an AAC school.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Capel is doing a good job, but Pitt is not sniffing the tournament this year.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Oh, no doubt. But if you'd told me two years ago, while I was watching Louisville double up this team while Stallings yelled at the crowd, that this team could make an NIT in two years I would have laughed at you. That bald shithead had run off every decent player and was refilling the roster with guys that were better off at Slippery Rock.

Big Circus likes this.
  6. heyabbott

Terps home to Nebraska tonight. I can hear the Terps coughing already

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

When stuff like that happens, I always wonder if it's a matter of the coach making a mistake by trying to play "conventional" now that he can get better players, or, if his former system just won't work at a higher level. I've always wanted to see someone at the D1 level try out that weird Grinnell basketball, with proper D1 talent, but it's probably too tough of a sell.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Maybe if they change their name to Bruins they might be able to trick Rick Barnes into leaving Knoxville.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They can make Shaka go away with one phone call to - or from - a donor. They’re building a medical school on the site of the Erwin Center. Fold the buyout into that cost.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not overlooked by all. Pitt has stopped becoming a bye and is gaining traction in a hurry. The talent and giveacrap has improved exponentially.

Capel has done well. We'll see if the program continues to ascend.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It’s tough to win at Pitt because the city of Pittsburgh does not have a lot of basketball talent.

Am I wrong?

12. heyabbott

Nebraska had the ball down 1 with 7 seconds left and missed the lay up by a Jalen Smith block.

Draft saved Draft deleted