1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019-2020 college hoops thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Nov 5, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very good stuff, @exmediahack .

So get a load of this promotion in Indiana today from FanDuel ... called "Spread the Love", they'll boost the spread by 1 point for every 250 customers that bet on the Hoosiers tonight against Michigan State. The spread opened last night at IU +2.5. It's not yet 11 a.m. and the spread is now +34.5. Supposedly the last time they did this, it got to 51. Max bet is $50 at -110 odds, so this will be the easiest $45 I've made in a long time.

I'm putting some of my friends on this today who hadn't been on FanDuel before, which of course is the whole point. The company will punt $250,000 or more here in exchange for a whole bunch of new customers just in time for the Super Bowl and the run to March Madness. Once again, the bookies aren't stupid.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I hate you motherfuckers

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That would be superb if I ever got that here.

Best one I’ve gotten is the NBA opening night. Bet $50 on each of the two games and, if one hits, you get a $50 bonus.

Also why I keep four outs so I can bet the other side elsewhere and just take the $25.

4. playthrough

The spread is now IU +64.5 with five hours to go before tipoff. A 100-point spread might not be out of the question. And everyone gets the closing number, it doesn't matter when you bet it. What a time to be alive.

poindexter likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's wild.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Cleveland State may as well disband its athletic department

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How will they stay in business? I'm serious. I really don't get gambling.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

See above. It's about getting new people to sign up, get them into the system. It's a marketing ploy. You spend money to make money.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Sorry if posted earlier but has anyone noticed Fox’s new theme sounds awfully familiar

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Damn - GE Smith. Saw him play with Dylan on tour in addition to his work with Hall and Oates (and his time on SNL).

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  12. playthrough

Postscript ... the closing number on that promo was IU +118.5, meaning that around 29,000 people bet it and FanDuel probably handed out around $1.3 million. I bet they didn't expect it to go THAT crazy, but they'll get it back in the long run if a fraction of the newcomers hang around for the Super Bowl, March Madness and beyond.

Draft saved Draft deleted