1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Apr 9, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Were the Capitals ever anything else? :)

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They found other ways to lose before. Two straight home losses where they blew two-goal leads.

Yeah, now I'm panicking. I think the series is over. Where is Trotz next year? It ain't going to be Washington.

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Caps gonna Cap.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm not even worried about the next two games being on the road. I don't think home ice means shit outside of game 7, and even then, not so much. It's that they made terrible mistakes at the end of Game 1 and fucking repeated them three nights later. That's coaching. That's Trotz. Bye, bitch.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Teams that have lost the first two games of a series at home since 2014:
    2017: Chicago (swept by Nashville); Minnesota (lost to St. Louis in 5); Washington (lost to Pittsburgh in 7); Anaheim (beat Edmonton in 7)
    2016: Anaheim (lost to Nashville in 7); Los Angeles (lost to San Jose in 5)
    2015: Montreal (lost to Tampa Bay in 6)
    2014: Tampa Bay (swept by Montreal); Anaheim (lost to LA in 7); Montreal (lost to the Rangers in 6).

Yeah, looking grim.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Had they ever left?

7. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

They go back to Holtby now, right?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Respectfully, he is part of it. A big part of it is that Ovechkin is a loser and always will be. But Trotz hasn't covered himself in glory with some of his personnel decisions this year.

At some point, it's no longer coincidence that Trotz has never gotten past the second round. This is a moot discussion, because he's gone unless he wins two rounds. And the Caps won't make it to the weekend if they lose Tuesday. They'll lay down and take it like the dogs they are on sweep day on Thursday if they lose tomorrow.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Take Ovechkin away from this team and the embarrassing playoff losses will go away all right.

poindexter likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that at all, though it certainly sounded like that's where I was going. But at some point you can't just look away from the fact that his teams -- whether it be the Caps or the Russia Olympic team -- never do anything when it matters.

I love Ovechkin. He's a joy to watch. He's one of the best regular-season players ever and he'll end his career as one of the top two or three goal scorers in the history of the league. But his postseason track record is awful. It's undeniable. But he's not the ONLY reason his teams struggle.

Sorry, I'm just really fucking frustrated with this team.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know, and I sympathize. But blaming a team's best player for its failings is like Disappointed Fan Fallacy #1.

Draft saved Draft deleted