1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Apr 9, 2018.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The guys calling the game last night (one of 'em was Ray Ferraro, not sure about the others) were pretty damn sure Doughty's hit was "barely OK." Didn't look much different than Cogliano's. Still, its shocking Doughty got half the suspension Cogliano did. I didn't think Doughty would get suspended at all.
    Hell, they let Marchand play for fines. His hits are worse Cogliano and Doughty.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The Ducks are currently the 15th best team in the playoffs.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I swear, Caps fans give me more anxiety than the Caps themselves do. It's like they lost four games in one night last night. It's like they're ROOTING for this to happen. Columbus is a good team, they tilted the ice in the third, and the fact that the Caps were down a defenseman reared its ugly head big time in the third. Not to mention Beagle being out. Might be one of the most important fourth-line guys in the league because of his ability to win defensive zone faceoffs on the reg.

Caps lose again Sunday, then I'll start to panic. Not going there after one friggin game.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They took one of the dumbest penalties I've ever seen in the closing minutes then failed to clear twice - without that they, probably win 3-2 despite being down a D-man and with Beagle out. Columbus is a very good team and has been hot lately. But the Caps turned a W into an L, plain and simple.

Vrana was terrific in setting up the third goal. Not sure why he got less than seven minutes.

The Caps took great advantage of the five-minute major with two goals and then basically didn't do shit except for Vrana's sprint and pass.

No wonder I'm nuts, and yes I realize I'm one of those fans giving you anxiety.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And there it is

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oh, no, I'm with you on breaking down that loss. That penalty was brutal. Wilson did not do a good job of clearing the zone late, but he was hounded. I thought the Jackets did a great job of making clears very difficult late in the game. The Caps should have won, but as they're wont to do, they sort of turtled and played not to lose down the stretch. Thus the result. But the series was not lost last night, as many seem to want to concede.

But Japers Rink and RMNB seem to be taking perverse pleasure in this, to the point where I've basically muted them for the rest of the series. I'm not willing to go full blown negative nancy after one game of a series. Caps fans ought to also stop worrying about what the Penguins are doing against the Flyers. But that's just me.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Agree on the other series, can't control that. I know the guys who run those sites, they're good folks and very knowledgable. They also want a change, pretty badly, and it is pretty much guaranteed to happen if the Caps go out in one round.

Win Sunday and all is forgotten. But now we get two days instead of one of dissecting the fuck ups and wondering if they'll go back to Holtby and all that. They take a dumb major, you make them pay with two goals, you ought to cruise from there. Get a team down, keep it down.

The Caps just don't do that.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah man, 100 percent agreed. Thought the Caps were in trouble when it got to 2-1 because they needed to take better advantage of the major. And that was a good call, the game misconduct. If he doesn't bring the elbow up to Kempny's head, it's a regular two-minute boarding. Maybe not even that. Curious to see what happens to Wilson. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a game.

I don't dislike RMNB/Japers. They do a fine job. But you're right, they want Trotz out--it's very clear in the way they write/tweet. I think he's gone unless they win two rounds, and it would be the right move. Need to see what you have with Rierdan. You'll know what you have with Trotz at that point.

9. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Not to twist the knife, but that winning goal for Columbus was about as sweet a play as you'll see all year.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

So was their first goal. Really pretty passing play.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I have decided that the Leafs were just toying with Boston last night and lulling them into a sense of false security. Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket.

:(

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sick, as the kids say.

BTW, paging @dixiehack! I feel like @YankeeFan on the politics thread, having to do all this heavy lifting by myself.

John B. Foster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted