1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 NASCAR thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 18, 2018.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Do the Big Three ever learn from their past mistakes? They did this, putting all their eggs into the truck and SUV basket, in the 1990s and early 2000s to disastrous results in the mid-2000s.

The only thing that might save them this time is if battery-powered cars get here before the next gas crisis.

maumann likes this.
  3. Maybe this means Ford sedans will come in colors other than white and silver?

FileNotFound and maumann like this.
  4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't automakers only run coupes in NASCAR until the Ford Taurus was introduced in 1998?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Will this mean no more Ford police cruisers? That had to be somewhat profitable in the Crown Vic days, and in my area there are a lot of newer-model Taurus cop cars.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dodges are most popular cop cars in suburban Boston towns. Police have to haul around a lot of stuff in their cars.

7. Probably, huh.
    Our local city cops cars are Taurus and the Dodge Challengers.

8. maumann

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Most police cars here are SUVs.

10. maumann

1966 Rookie of the Year, 1972 Talladega winner James Hylton and son killed on I-85 in Georgia early Saturday morning on way back from Talladega after ARCA race. Driver of the rig survived with injuries after losing control and hitting an embankment.

James Hylton passes away at age 83 | NASCAR.com

Interviewed him years ago for a story on Talladega's surprise winners. I think he may hold the record for oldest man to start a Cup race, or at least to attempt a qualifying run. And he was the most famous No. 48 in NASCAR (apologies to Dan Gurney) before some kid from California showed up at Rick Hendrick's shop.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    franticscribe likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ford sold a ton of sedans with fleet sales, but yes, more police departments are going with SUV type vehicles and we know taxi companies aren't buying in bulk anymore.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was a little ridiculous for him to still be out there in his mid-70s, but he did it his way. RIP.

Speaking of ARCA, interesting that NASCAR bought it. Wonder how soon there will be some consolidation; it's hard to imagine ARCA, Trucks and XFinity all existing five years down the road if racing continues its downward slide.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted