1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 NASCAR thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 18, 2018.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Jeff Burton did drive the No. 31 for RCR, but it was for Cingular Wireless in 2005. He was still with Roush in the No. 99 up until mid-2004.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was going to guess Skinner!

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

4. playthrough

I'm a little biased because he went to my alma mater, but Pockrass is such a good reporter (drivers and teams with legal or financial troubles rarely avoid his pen) that I'm surprised he hasn't been plucked by ESPN or others to do some work outside of racing.

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

Pocky will always be the first guy in the media center and last to leave. I wouldn't be surprised if he has to get security to let him in (or even better, maybe he has a key to every track). Plus, if you want to know the best Chinese take-out place in every NASCAR city, I'm certain he has a comprehensive list.

Like every sport, there are cliques. NASCAR has the "cool kid's table," where a group of writers basically spend the weekend trying to top each other's sarcastic remarks. Then there are the "kiss ups" and the "let's make everything about mes."

Pockrass just goes about his business and writes stuff that nobody else is willing to do the legwork to find. Hell, half of the NASCAR media couldn't find their way to the garage without directions, let alone dig through legal documents and rule books. He's better than Mike Mulhern without the weird quirks, Monte Dutton without the guitar or Bruce Martin without the stolen pace car.

I think Bob's just too introverted to want the additional exposure.

playthrough likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

7. maumann

And ... Martinsville's on Monday (if the snow melts).

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Must have lost all those viewers after those anthem protests.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Kevin Drum, the Mother Jones blogger, has proposed a solution to NASCAR's woes. He says Google should sponsor (and presumably help design) a driverless car to compete in the Cup Series. Surefire ratings grabber. Presumably they could teach some software engineers to provide "tight or loose" and "two tires or four" jargon for the interview segments.

maumann likes this.
  10. playthrough

NASCAR would be in big trouble when the driverless car finishes eighth. But there really should be some kind of man-vs.-machine thing, like when Kasparov took on the IBM computer. Maybe Jimmie Johnson vs. the car to see if perhaps the car might have more personality.

maumann and Hermes like this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Should name the car Deep Blue.

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

Garmin at Martinsville: "In a quarter of a mile, make a U-turn where possible, drive a quarter of a mile then make another U-turn, drive a quarter of a mile then make another U-turn..."

murphyc, playthrough and Michael_ Gee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted