1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 NASCAR thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 18, 2018.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This could be that domino, but I still feel the Smith family isn’t interested in selling SMI and getting out of the sport. I think the “dump everything and get out” was a Brian France thing (I question his interest in the family business, and I don’t believe he’s ever coming back) and I think this proposed consolidation is a smarter tightening of the ship by Jim France (who I think will be “interim boss” either until he can’t do it or is replaced by Lesa France’s son Ben Kennedy (who is now managing the Truck Series he formerly competed in).

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So NASCAR's minor leagues are going back to one of its legendary markets, Nashville...at the crappy track.

Does anyone know what's happened with the "super"speedway that the Dover folks operated outside of town for about a minute?

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’m putting this on the NASCAR thread because I believe Geely has come up on this thread, and this may or may not be relevant and/or insightful in that light.

If you were looking for a textbook definition of “traveshamockery” it may be the weekend earlier this year when Geely invited a bunch of journalists to Shanghai for a spec-car race. Everything about this screams “SKETCH!”

https://jalopnik.com/i-went-to-china-to-race-a-new-car-then-things-got-weir-1829220792

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It’s better that NASCAR returns to old tracks like that where the race might actually sell out. Let the Busch series run at North Wilkesboro too.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I have driven by North Wilkesboro Speedway numerous times. Looks like a set from the Walking Dead.

maumann likes this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agreed on North Wilkesboro in theory, but the photos I've seen of that place recently suggest that a lot of money would have to be sunk to make it what it was before the Frances tried to take their show more nationwide.

Too late to see if Junior Johnson could help?

Draft saved Draft deleted