1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 NASCAR thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 18, 2018.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought of Nadeau in particular because IIRC he crashed into one of the walls at Richmond that didn't have a SAFER barrier installed.

And Purvis was nearly T-boned by Greg Biffle during a race. Doubt anything could have helped him.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Some of the side-safety stuff, maybe. And the HANS device could have helped, too, the same way it probably saved Elliott Sadler’s life at Pocono a few years ago.

When I think of deaths that could have been prevented by the SAFER barrier system, I think of guys like Kenny Irwin Jr., Adam Petty, Neil Bonnett and J.D. McDuffie. (HANS device could have helped them as well, obv.) There was a wreck in the All-Star Race a few years ago that saw Jimmie Johnson’s car go headfirst into one of the Charlotte SAFER barriers with so much power that you could see the outer barrier bending all the way to the concrete retaining wall. Amazing system.

The combination of the driver’s HANS device and the SAFER barriers on the walls has done a lot to prevent death and maiming on the track. I’m still amazed that it took 15-20 years for the HANS device to become a standard part of the safety kit.

wicked and maumann like this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I remember the same year or the year after Earnhardt died, there was one race (Talladega?) where two or three guys who wrecked said they’d have been dead without HANS, and the G force readings pretty much confirmed it. It’s amazing how many lives have been saved by HANS + SAFER.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Spoilers!
    Kevin Harvick clinched a spot in the championship round by winning at Texas ... oooorrr maybe not.

No. 4 team assessed L1-level penalty, docked 40 points | NASCAR.com

Ryan Blaney's and Erik Jones' teams also got 20-point penalties for other infractions.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And ... NASCAR says "Our bad!" to Jimmie Johnson after incorrectly sticking him at the back of the field at Texas. Then harumphs about how "unacceptable" it was. Like a damn thing will change in the tower going forward. Same clowns, same circus. At least the IRL fired the USAC timing and scoring crew after A.J. slapped Arie.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It seems more and more like wrasslin’ every year.

TigerVols and maumann like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Saw a report tonight about NASCAR wanting to take ISC private. Think it was on Autoweek’s site?

Perhaps this is another domino falling in the scenario 2mcm laid out months back.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seriously though - with the sponsorship situation as dire as it is - NASCAR can't afford to to make their sponsors look bad. The question is, do they make them look bad by dinging one of their teams, or do they make them all look worse by looking the other way?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think over-officiating/inspecting/etc. by NASCAR helps in any way. The postseason is contrived enough as it is, and now their midweek penalty announcements shape the championship just as much as the races. It's a charade.

wicked and maumann like this.
  10. maumann

Rick Crawford goes directly to prison without a wave around. Maybe he can look up former NASCAR PR flack Chip Williams while he's there.

Rick Crawford sentenced to 130 months in attempted enticement of a minor case

EDIT: Just looked him up. Chip is scheduled to be released in December of 2028. The original sentence was 26 years and three months. That'd be around 20-21 years served, I think.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  11. maumann

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not the first time ESPN has cut someone in that fashion, if memory serves.

If anything was to open in the shrinking racin' journalism world, he'd be the very best hire (as many have mentioned, The Athletic doesn't have a racin guy), but as I've said before, he's a good enough reporter to cover anything, anywhere. I hope he spreads his wings.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted