1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 NASCAR thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Maybe Kahne is tired of not winning? He's one once in 4 years.
    I liked him. Tough for him to be the No. 3 and 4 driver in the Hendrick stable.
    Seemed like he only ran well at the Coke 600 in Charlotte..

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Net worth of $50 mil? Yeah. Now I also understand why Carl Edwards walked away as well. Surprised Edwards kind of dropped off the face of the earth.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That six-win season for Ray Evernham when it seemed like Kahne had broken through and was going to be a huge star for the next decade … was all the way back in 2006. I can’t understand how everything went that wrong for him afterward.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

I thought Edwards would go into TV. Really surprised that he pulled a Ricky Rudd.

5. DanOregon

I would have thought Fox would have used him, maybe grease the skids for Waltrip.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Had everything going for him for a while, including all those swooning-women commercials. I wish he'd take a shot at the Indy 500, but that time has probably passed.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

8. DanOregon

If you're over 35 and used to making 7-10m a year, making $3 mil for the same risk seems kind of stupid.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Harry Gant was a rookie at 39.

Dick Trickle was rookie of the year at 48.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. DanOregon

With all of the new sports ventures out there - two football leagues, 3 on 3 basketball, and I figure I'm forgetting a few - a driving circuit for former NASCAR drivers that is less risky and more evenly matched would probably do well. Something between IMSA and truck racing.
    If I was Ford or Chevy I'd line it up and have all the drivers in the same cars - like an IROC race. Maybe double up and race the same courses as the IRL.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

Ah, yes … you mean TRAC.

[​IMG]

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So if these early retirements continue, how long before NASCAR seriously considers shortening the season? Cutting six races and wrapping it up on Halloween weekend would be a welcome move for a lot of folks, I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted