1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Count me as a fan as well. Will miss his work, for sure. Not a huge fan of Zinger.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Miller on the 2006 U.S. Open at Winged Foot was absolutely incredible and the obit of his analyst career can be summed up in the last 20 minutes of that incredible crap show.

Phil hitting driver on 18: "Right now, Ben Hogan has officially turned over in his grave."

Phil gagged his second, hit his third into the bunker. Remember, this is live television.

"This is a nightmare, right here, absolutely. He could not have made worse decisions than he has had on this hole. I know you love Phil, but come on, you just have to make par on this hole. You don't have to run down the last stretch on a white stallion, you know, you could limp in there and say, 'Thanks for the trophy.'

"I'm sure Jack Nicklaus is there in Florida, thinking, 'Man, Phil.'"

There's really no one else to fill those shoes. Johnny was unique. I'll miss him. Zinger was good when he was paired with Curtis Strange and Mike Tirico. The Peacock really had no other way to go to fill this.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

There aren't many better examples of a commentator perfectly capturing the moment. My dad, who loved Phil, was beside himself. Wanted Bones to go full Tin Cup and break Mickelson's driver. And his 3-wood.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That and Curtis Strange railing on Van de Velde's meltdown at Carnoustie are my two favorite golf analyst moments.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

With all due respect, you guys are golf nerds.

Johnny Miller in no way whatsoever has ever moved the needle with the average fan. Hell, I watch practically every golf tournament from January through August and Johnny Miller has never said one memorable thing I can remember, except that he sounds like an old crank.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. playthrough

100 percent guilty on golf nerd-dom.

But for average fans, does anyone in the booth really matter? ESPN/ABC has been chasing that ghost for years on MNF (and in my opinion, not very well this year). You're either watching or not. But I do appreciate someone telling it like it is on a Sunday afternoon, and Miller was the best in his prime.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So you were okay with Chris Berman doing “happy hour” (which is kinda cryptic considering the actions of his wife) at the U.S. Open? How about Greg Norman having no reaction after DJ choked away the 2015 Open?

Is it a make or break thing, no? But a bad announcer can make the difference between a telecast sucking and not sucking.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I like Jim Hello Friends Nance and Faldo. I like the whole CBS crew.

The only thing that sticks out with me with the NBC crew is the number of times Hannah Storm's husband says "Bear Trap" during that one tournament.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The biggest mistake any network can make is trying to cater to non-golf fans. Or non-golf nerds. That's how you get Curt Menefee saying "Jordan Speith doesn't really do anything special, so it's hard to figure out what makes him so good." (Spoiler: He was, for a good stretch, the best iron player in the world and a Top-5 putter.) Casual fans only care about players (See: Tiger, and Tiger only) and so putting someone in the booth thinking that the casual fan will tune into hear them is the Dennis Miller experiment, just in a different scale. Johnny Miller was great at his job, and fearless. Yes he was a crank, yes he talked about himself way too much, yes he pissed off plenty of players. But he put in the work and he offered insight. Faldo is a joke compared to him. Greg Norman was a joke of a joke. At least Johnny was willing to criticize a player when it was deserved, and I don't think he was every unfair to a player, at least repeatedly. Maybe he was harsh to Phil over the years, but he was also the one guy ever willing to be remotely critical of Tiger, which was needed. Imagine if, in the NBA, the financial structure of the sport was so wedded to LeBron James' success that no one was every willing to criticize him. Or the same with Tom Brady. (You can joke that it's exactly like that, but it's not. Not like Tiger.) That's where golf was, and Johnny was still willing to call Tiger out when needed, like the infamous (and clearly bullshit) drop at the Players that Casey Wittenburg signed off on because what Web.com player would ever challenge the GOAT.

Azinger is great, and will continue to be great. I'm stunned Fox is cool with him doing both Fox and NBC, but I suspect since he's an independent contractor they don't have much choice.

10. playthrough

Oh, no question about that. Norman was a terrible hire and was even worse when he got into the chair. But I wasn't going to turn off the U.S. Open. As for Berman, jeez, the mute button never looked so tempting.

As for Zinger, I can't imagine he'd have agreed to a contract where he couldn't have another gig on non-Fox telecast weekends. He might have seen this opportunity coming.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I thought the Fox crew for this year's tourney was fantastic, surprisingly enough.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think a bad announcer does more to wreck a viewing experience than a good announcer does to enhance it, if that makes sense.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted