1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 24, 2018.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That's why I posted it. I think that photo is actually more taboo than the bathtub full of mediocre golf balls.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was a simpler time.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Come on, let's give credit where credit's due; besides those two things, Jan Stephenson did win 3 majors (I think the Du Maurer was considered a major then), unlike say Anna K (tennis) or Laura Baugh (showing my age). And yeah, I was a Sport subscriber then and was thrilled to see that cover!!

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jan's taking 3rd in this rodeo.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Nice work; wanna do paralegal work?

And I agree.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If one was to write the history of the LPGA, she'd get some ink (and not just one of the aforementioned photos). The history of men's pro golf (to continue the HOF debate), can be written without Retief Goosen.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Interestingly, and maybe only slightly related, but Kournikova's 13-year-old brother (or half-brother) Allan is one of the top junior golfers in the US. Not sure if he has the talent to be a future star, or even a Tour player, but for his age group, he's always been one of the best. He was a big part of a Netflix documentary that came out a few years ago where he won the kids world championship at Pinehurst for his age group.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Speaking of juniors, the USGA just upped the field for the U.S. Junior Am from 156 to 264 starting in 2020. Great move. Now if we can just start teaching our juniors to pick up the pace ... (I'm looking at you, AJGA).

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

AJGA has very strict pace of play. I cover two of their tournaments a year in our area and it’s not an issue.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Really? Just anecdotal evidence from being out on course, but at our junior championships, you can always tell the kids who play more AJGA events than our events because they play at a glacial pace. Maybe it's localized to Virginias or the Carolinas, but it's noticeable. Glad you're getting a different experience.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nothing on Johnny Miller hanging it up after the Phoenix Open next year?

The most consequential golfing commentator ever. Love him or hate him (I am/was a fan), he had a huge impact the past nearly 30 years.

NBC's Johnny Miller set to retire

Paul Azinger to slide into the chair and still stay with Fox for the men's and women's U.S. Opens, so a worthy replacement.

Draft saved Draft deleted