1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 24, 2018.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Kinda sad to see DC lose a tour stop again. Big golfing region that supported the Kemper Open for years until the PGA Tour threatened to shift it to September in 2005. And to shun DC for a much smaller market in Detroit seems strange.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

All about the title sponsor. Quicken's headquarters are in Detroit, and Gilbert said Quicken won't sponsor another Tour event unless it's in Detroit.

Also, losing Congressional as a regular stop was a big blow. Kemper/Booz Allen died because people don't think that highly of Avenel. Scenario seems to be repeating itself.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think Dan Gilbert is a weird dude in some ways, but he's basically building an entire American city on his own. It's a really crazy fucking story.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Off the radar.
    Michael Arnaud today at web.com event in South Carolina.
    Starts birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie, par, bogey-.......Front 9 27 with a bogey.

Eureka.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If those sons of bitches weren't going to buy me free drinks at my girlfriend's office christmas party anymore, then they damn well better not be spending money on golf tournaments!

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Also playing in that web.com event -- Mike Weir. There's a little-known exemption that allows PGA Tour members to play web.com events at ages 48-49 to prepare for the Champions Tour. Weir is 48. Wouldn't have guessed that.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Can we rename this the Walking golf thread since, well, ya know...

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm down with that.
    The SJ Walking Golf Thread presented by Johnnie Walker

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Outstanding!

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Last year, maybe two years ago, I was walking Augusta National during a Masters practice round. We come across Mike Weir at the sixth tee. He wiggles . . . waggles . . . waggles some more . . . stiffens like a statue . . . he's concentrating so damn hard . . . and then he hits his tee shot 25 yards left of the green. Never felt so sorry for such a nice guy.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

He’s a nice guy with a green jacket. He’ll be snap-hooking drives at Augusta for another 15, or so, years.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I’ve often felt he’d make a great story. What do you do when your greatest triumph becomes an anchor around your neck? Mike Weir was a pretty amazing golfer. He finished in the Top 10 of a major 11 Times! In 2003, he finished in the Top 10 in all four majors. He almost did that again in 2006, finishing 11th in the Masters and Top 10 in all the others. He won the Tour Championship! He won 8 times on Tour. He has, still, a way better career than Rickie Fowler to this point.

But because he is 5-9 and 155 pounds and his game fell off so dramatically when distance became so important, he has become something of a punchline. Winning the Masters is both the best blessing in golf, and also a bit of a curse. You have to be dragged in front of everyone until you’re 60 to be reminded of how absurd it was you won this tournament. Steve Jones doesn’t have that same fate, even though he’s a much worse player than Weir. Same with Todd Hamilton.

Draft saved Draft deleted