1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 24, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If they're putting up their own dough, or playing for charity, I'm interested. Otherwise, I'm watching football.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Helluva round by Poulter. Including a tidy 30 on the second 9.

Always liked Poulter. Great theater when he's playing in the Ryder Cup.

Solid 66 for Woods. Unfortunate bogey on 18 when he was bogey-free through 17 holes. But, he also made a long snake for bird that had about a 1 percent make-chance. Golf.

Woods has been a slow starter this season and very good on the weekends. We'll see if he can do it again Friday.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One of my favorite golf-announcer cliches: "that final-hole bogey's going to ruin his dinner" or "dinner will taste a lot better after that birdie at the last."

4. playthrough

I think the number to get Tiger or Phil to actually sweat would be $50 million, but the public would be aghast at so much money on an exhibition. $10 million is the safe zone, as crazy as that sounds.

For me it's either a DVR event to condense 3.5 hours into 20 minutes, or the commercial click-over from football.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned charity.
    I'd place a wager that says whoever wins the 10 million will donate it to charity.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not watching that exhibition live. I'll look for the 30-second highlight only if Tiger calls out Phil for a rules infraction and it turns in WWE.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Phil's charity will be red on the roulette table.

Chef2 likes this.
  8. playthrough

Yeah, given that this is in Vegas, I'd rather have Phil mic'd up everywhere BUT the golf course.

9. Deskgrunt50

Solid by JT today. Clear of the field by 3 shots at 14-under. If he backs up at all, there's a great group between 11-under and 8-under.

Ugly 73 for Woods. Didn't see much, but what I did was the usual. Can't find a fairway.

If he can't figure it out Sunday, might be an ugly PGA next week.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One round. Woods did look a little peaked out there. August in St. Louis is not likely to revive a fatigued man.

11. Deskgrunt50

Yeah, gonna be a steam bath next week. He was certainly grinding. But his iron game wasn't able to make up for his poor driving this time.

Woods said after the round he knew what was wrong but couldn't get it fixed on the course. Guess we'll find out Sunday. A solid 66-67 would be a nice number to get things righted headed into the PGA.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted