1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 college rings postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Now hoping the Mid-American Conference tries this.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think it's a smart move, considering the current system.

Here's a radical proposal for the NCAA tournament, since there's no way we're ever going back to 64 teams and incremental expansion seems to be looming again.

* Scrap the NIT. Eliminate it. It's long past outlived its usefulness. Does anyone remember who won this year's event, without looking it up? I don't. It's turned into the NCAA's experimenting grounds as it is, so you're playing a "championship" under different rules than you played the entire regular season.

* Expand the field to 96 teams, with these caveats. Any regular-season champion gets an automatic bid into the expanded tournament. Great, so where's the motivation to perform in the conference tournament if you're already in the field? Well, if you win both the regular season and the tournament, you are automatically slotted into the round of 64. Winning both is hard, in any league. Reward that. Here's the list of mid/lows that would have earned their way automatically into the 64 this year: Montana, Charleston, Penn, Buffalo, Loyola Chicago, Murray State, Bucknell, UNC Greensboro, SD State, Gonzaga, New Mexico State.

* This means the amount of auto bids would fluctuate from year to year, but you still would have at minimum, 34 at-large bids which with to work, which is about what we have now, give or take a few. Some years, you may have 45 at-large bids. Either way, the marginal, barely .500 power conference teams are protected, and more mid- and low major teams get in the field. Would you rather watch an extra weekend of Valpo and Oregon playing to advance to the round of 64, or watch the NIT?

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've heard worse ideas....

Cosmo likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It does seem like the definition of involuntary manslaughter, emphasis on involuntary. Have to think he's going to claim self-defense.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If Con Air taught me anything, it's that this ends with a jet landing on the Vegas Strip.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I never realized how and why the recruiting game is of such interest, particularly with the social media angle. I have no doubt that head coaches or "someone" within the program communicates the "key targets" to friends of the program. The dance of social media updates, campus visits, narrowing of lists, verbal commits, etc. is the negotiation.

Draft saved Draft deleted