1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 college rings postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Conference tournaments are underway, including the Big Ten going a week early so they can play at MSG.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Big Ten having its tournament at Madison Square Garden is one of the stupidest ideas in recent sports memory. Having it a week early removes the words "one of" from my first sentence.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There were maybe 2,000 people in the stands for the Iowa-Illinois game. Yeah, two awful teams squaring off, but if the game was in the Midwest you would have had a decent crowd just based on the amount of alumni from those schools living in the region.

NYC, not so much.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Vombatus and Hermes like this.
  5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Was wondering why the Big Ten was trying to beat the Atlantic Sun and the Ohio Valley to being the first team in the tournament.

Will be interesting to see what the week off does to their tournament performance. Just don't see how a 10 - 14 layoff without games is going to be a positive for any of these teams.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This B1G tourney being in New York City is such a shitshow that I hope Rutgers wins the whole thing so Jim Delaney has to hand over the trophy in an empty arena to the 14th seed he inexplicably allowed into the conference.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Currently watching Longwood (7-25) and Radford (19-12) in a tie game with 13:12 left in the Big South quarterfinals. Longwood beat like four DI teams this year and may make it to the Big South semis. Why?

THIS IS MARCH.

This shit wouldn't have happened yesterday.

heyabbott and Big Circus like this.
  8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And even more so because they already had the perfect setup. In Indy it always drew tremendous attendance, and the Final was always that ratings showcase last game of the season on CBS airing immediately before the brackets were announced--the dream time slot. If ever anything didn't need fixin...

Hmm, so how can we ruin it? Step 1, move to a city that doesn't give a shit about Big 10 basketball. Step 2, move it up a week so nobody's paying much attention yet. Brilliant!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    I Should Coco likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Wasn't any better last year in D.C. Big Ten would be well served to beat it back to Chicago or Indy in the future. The ACC tourney in Brooklyn is stupid, too. Rotate the thing between Atlanta, Greensboro, Charlotte and D.C.

Stoney likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Mizzou fanboi side of me is stoked to see the SEC Tourney is in St. Louis.

The Vol half is fucking pissed it's not at Bridgestone Arena.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Rutgers has the advantage in this Big Ten tourney. They’re used to playing in front of empty seats.

lcjjdnh and Stoney like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

First step out of the way ...
    B1G moment: Rutgers upsets Indiana in conference tournament

Hermes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted