1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 NCAA Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And if you're home watching it on TV, what difference does it make?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

God, I love the look on Forde's face when Marhsall's wife is in full scream.

Vombatus and Michael_ Gee like this.
  3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I know the Committee has never thought this way, and there's no indication things will ever change, but a 1 or 2 seed doesn't need to be "protected." It's bad enough that two 1's get an advantage of playing a team that's already been in a play-in game, there's no need to ensure they play in an area that's down the street and where two-thirds of the fans are their season ticket holders and thousands of other screaming lunatics. With seven other opening-weekend sites, this shouldn't be all that difficult to accomplish.

The "old" system wasn't any worse than what's going on now. If I remember this year's bracket before I go dig it out of the trash, didn't Rhode Island, Iona and Kent State all play in the Pacific time zone?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think the point here was that the worse seed got a huge boost. But even that isn't all that unusual. Syracuse's 2003 title included a regional stop in Albany, where as the third seed they overwhelmed No. 1 Oklahoma. Probably the worst one ever was 1986 when LSU made the Final Four as an 11 seed. Their first two games were in Baton Rouge a.k.a. the Deaf Dome. They beat Purdue in double OT and then beat Memphis by two points. Guessing that FF run doesn't happen if they are playing those first two games anywhere else.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That LSU run was the reason they changed the rule that teams couldn't play in their home arena in the first two rounds.
    Obviously, Villanova playing in the Wells Fargo Center or North Carolina/Duke playing in Charlotte or Greensboro has the same effect, but at least they have to get on a bus.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The fact is, they have a West Region, and not enough Western teams to fill it. So Eastern teams get sent out there come what may. This was true before the pod system as well. One year BC went to Salt Lake, and if they had gotten out of the round of 32, which they didn't, they'd have had to go to San Jose. This was like 2001 or something like that.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You know what would make March Madness better? If all the arenas were 1/3 full and had the atmosphere of a funeral parlor.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've never understood the logic that you want to have the tournament take place in hot spots throughout the nation, but then you don't want to send teams to the places where you'd take advantage of those hot spots.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Does anyone think UNC would have had a crowd disadvantage if they had played the Gamecocks in Greenville? Not me. Comes back to the fact that Duke basketball is a TV show filmed live before a studio audience.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That Sparty team deserved it. Got that far held together by chewing gum and chicken wire. I'm not a big MSU fan, but don't judge Izzo on that team.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"And that's ... why you never play the Gamecocks in Greenville."

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

-- There are enough West Coast teams, they just don't get picked because of East Coast Bias.
    -- Another random example was 1994 when 5-UCLA was ambushed by 12-Shea Seal/Tulsa in Oklahoma City.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

It's really an Intermountain West bias, if you ask me.

Draft saved Draft deleted