1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 NCAA Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 12, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think it usually ends up as a separate thread from the regular season, right?

There's only one way to start this one.

murphyc and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Final 4: Gonzaga over Virginia
    Final 4: UCLA over Kansas

Championship: UCLA 90, Gonzaga 87

I have Wisconsin over Villanova. Vermont over Purdue. Gulf Coast over the Noles. Not too many other major upsets though there will probably be a handful.

I want Notre Dame to make a deep run. There is something so satisfying about watching them move with and without the ball. No one does it better.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The concept of the extra four teams was a turd when it was introduced, and it is no better today. It does nothing for the tournament

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In an organization of ADs and college presidents, it pisses off four less of them.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm a little disappointed this isn't "The 2017 College Rings Tournament Thread."

6. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

(1) Big Dance -- a cliche that should have been retired long ago.

(B) Dick Vitale's annual rant -- ugh.

(III) These might be the worst First Four games ever.

(Four) Vanderbilt must have a new set of pictures of the selection committee. Undeserving and totally non-competitive last year. Undeserving this year.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That tweet is awesome to the nth degree. Didn't realize she had a son on the team.

Don't get Wisconsin falling to an 8 seed. Which does no favors for the defending champs.

Love the FGC/FSU matchup in Orlando.

If most of the seeds hold, the first weekend games are going to be something. Which means they probably won't.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Having seen Wisconsin dismantle Northwestern on Saturday — not to mention the Badgers' better record in and out of the Big 10 — how are both teams an 8 seed?

Oh well -- Gonzaga will take its relatively easy path to the second weekend.

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I'm also scratching my head over that one. Still, I'm happy to see Northwestern make it, no matter the circumstances.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Hell -- how is Maryland a 6 and Wisconsin an 8 when they tied for second in the conference, Wisconsin won the only meeting and made the tourney final?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tourney chairman on CBS basically said, "we have the whole field seeded on Wednesday and only change it in case of catastrophe." Said Duke came in at last four seed and wound up as a two and made it sound like a papal dispensation. I'm sure NCAA broadcasting partners were delighted to hear that the conference tourney week they pay for doesn't mean shit.

12. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The opening-round games last year were a pleasant surprise, except for Vandy proving it had no place in the tournament.

Draft saved Draft deleted