1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the only perfect game in Giants' history, dating back to New York. Damn, it's dusty in here.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

HOFer?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Before Steve Tasker.

Hermes, Huggy, JC and 2 others like this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Prick.
    :D

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Big deal. Winners win!

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

And the Twins becomectje first team to go from 100 losses ome season to the postseason the next.

Very proud of the franchise that was the reason I maxed out my first credit card in October, 1987.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was at the White Sox game that eliminated the Angels last night, though we left before the 10th inning. It was actually pretty compelling theater. Scoscia was obviously managing like it was the seventh game of the World Series, and the game was at nearly four hours heading into extras. Angels were down 3-0 early, then tied it on a three-run home run.

There were probably like 1,000 people there by the time the White Sox sent them home for the winter.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Al Oliver had 2,743 hits.

I remember him being a pretty good hitter but that's a lot of hits.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Just wanted to point out that the Cardinals were eliminated by the Iowa Cubs tonight.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Shit, they were shown the door to the 19th hole by the Class AA Cubs. There's lots of work for the Cardinals front office to do over the winter if they hope to even compete with the Cubs, let alone overtake them.

There's been a lot of talk about STL going after Stanton, but that's risky for a lot of reasons: one, the length of the contract, and two, his history of being hurt. I'd much rather the Cardinals miss the playoffs next year than get tied to a Stanton/Pujols type contract. It's not my money, but I'd wait until the 2018 offseason and offer a Brinks truck to Harper or Machado with an opt-out after five years and another after seven years.

But St. Louis' problems go deeper than that. They need a stud No. 1, No. 2 starter and a shutdown closer. Right now, next year's rotation is Martinez, Wacha, Weaver and Wainwright, probably in that order. Reyes won't be ready after TJ surgery this spring, Flaherty needs more seasoning, as do Alcantara and Hudson. At closer, Rosenthal just had TJ surgery and there's no real good internal option; maybe Lyons could fill that role, but he doesn't seem to have the combination of pitches that translates well to taking on the closer responsibility.

Lots of work to do. They have the money, so it's put up or shut up time.

Draft saved Draft deleted