1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Braves just walked 4 consecutive batters to walk in the tying and go-ahead runs.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

It's a bold strategy, Cotton!

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to know how many fans per season are seriously injured by batted balls at MLB ballparks. Is it huge problem, or is it magnified because the victim in this case was a little girl?

Also, it really doesn't take a genius to realize that it's a bad idea to bring a small child to a game with seats along the baselines. Get seats in the outfield, behind the home plate screen or up high. Don't be a dumbass.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There was that case a few years ago of the girl who was struck by a puck at a game in Columbus and died.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The netting is such a no-brainer. Takes about two minutes to get used to. Then you don't even notice it.

I don't have numbers on how often this happens. Seems like a couple of times a week. Not usually this bad.

The pitchers are throwing 100 mph and the exit velocity off the bat can be much higher. This will happen more, not less.

Extend the nets. It's not hard.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Steak Snabler likes this.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

1) Extend the nets

2) There's a good time and a bad time to express it, but yeah, I've turned down seats in that area when I had young children with me.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One incident is too many. Is it going to take a dead fan for all of the teams in MLB to get their collective heads out of their asses on this one?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's what it took for the NHL.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The rationale against nets is so stupid. Do the seats behind home plate go empty because fans don't want to sit behind the backstop?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For a few years, it seemed like broken bats were as much of a problem as the balls.

There's really no reason not to do this.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Damn you Barry Bonds and your maple bats!

Draft saved Draft deleted