1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Alotta old NL West memories of Dodgers-Astros.

The earliest Astros I remember are Cesar Cedeno, Jose Cruz, Dickie Thon, Art Howe, Joe Niekro, Terry Puhl, Vern Ruhle, Nolan Ryan, Joe Sambito, Denny Walling.

A Dodgers-Astros NL West World Series is weird.

2. Songbird

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Since we seem to have a number of Members of the Tribe on here, from Jewish Baseball News on Facebook:

Alex Bregman (Astros) and Joc Pederson (Dodgers) are in the World Series......According to Bob Wechsler, the last time Jews played on opposite teams in a WS was 2004, when Gabe Kapler (Red Sox) faced Jason Marquis (Cardinals)

Dyno and heyabbott like this.
  4. Songbird

Joc is a Jew? Pederson? Joc? Helllllloooooo! Joc's a Jew? Did he have a bar mitzvah? Can he remember his haftorah? (OK, neither can I.)

Dyno likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Awesome. I know you're supposed to let the crowd noise speak, but why not throw in "The Dodgers win!" Then you go quiet. Not a criticism. Just question.

6. tapintoamerica

You really can't predict World Series champs in advance. They were right to peg Astros as a great team, but the bullpen is often a year-to-year thing that doesn't come together in some cases until late July or later.

7. tapintoamerica

Are Brewers and Astros only teams to switch leagues? I think they are.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was my point, that while you couldn't predict everything, SI made a good call based on the core that the Astros were building.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In the modern era, yes. I think a few teams did it around the turn of the 19th-to-20th century.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Looks like Boston has won the Alex Cora sweepstakes:

And the Mets hired Indians pitching coach Mickey Callaway:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They also played a one-game playoff for the NL West title in 1980.

It's weird that the only two teams have switched leagues in the past 10o-plus years, who each had only made the World Series once, have wound up with a playoff series/World Series rematch.

12. tapintoamerica

Stay classy, Walgreens. This indicates that Dusty waited around DC for nine days anticipating the announcement of a new deal. Management waited him out. Only when he got out of town did they whack him, using the newfound distance as a way to execute him without doing so to his face. They're becoming the Steinbrenner Yankees in managerial firings.

https://deadspin.com/the-nationals-fired-dusty-baker-because-theyre-just-thr-1819740071

Draft saved Draft deleted