1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Oct 3, 2017.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As a non Dodger fan living in LA, I hear and read and see about Kirk Gibson's homer practically weekly. It never ends. As hard as it is to believe, there is one underrated aspect of it, and that is Don Drysdale's call on local radio, KABC. It is electric. The home run shocks the shit out of DD, and you hear it in his voice. And then silence from him and the incredible crowd noise.
    I have no interest in searching for it, but if you are a dodger fan, or a kirk gibson fan, its well worth your time to find it and listen to it.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. Songbird

That's the first time I've ever listened to that. The crowd, man. Give the director of that game an award for letting the people tell the story.

Man alive, that moment just 3 years after Jack Clark's homer. ... The Dodgers put their diehards through the emotional ringer in the '80s.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hearing that again, with the long silence by DD - I have to say that the organ subtracts from the moment. Didn't need it. Although if you were at Dodger Stadium, I am sure you didn't hear it.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

No. And I wish I got the ball. I was working on that middle staircase.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Add three wins in the last three days of 1980 to force a one-game playoff with the Astros, a comeback from down 0-2 to beat the Astros in the first round in 81 followed by Rick Monday's HR to win the NLCS then the World Series, losing the division on the last day in 82, losing the NLCS in 83 and Clark in 85, it was quite a run

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. Songbird

That was a painful one too.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Rick Monday can go to hell.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I have often wondered if some umpires might be betting on games. Yeah, it isn't likely, but once Donaghy came out and said it happened in the NBA...

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Gibson home run, Jack Buck's "I don't believe what I just saw!" is the line you always hear.

But if you hear the full clip, it's nowhere near as good. He repeats it like 3 times, and then says something like "Bill (analyst Bill White), do you believe what you just saw?"

It's pretty hokey.

poindexter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted