1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Oct 3, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is Sabathia HOF? 237-146 3.70 ERA in a HR era American League. 1 Cy Young, 4 top 5 finishes
    If this is his last year he leaves as the #2 winning-est active pitcher and #1 active strikeout leader.
    Only 1 20 game season

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He should be, but the "It's not the Hall of Very Good" get-off-on-withholding folks will keep him out.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's very Jack Morris

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

But also a Cy Young Award, a World Series ring and maybe the last "get on my back" performance we're ever gonna see by a starting pitcher (2008 w/Milwaukee). No doubter. And he's not retiring this year, so he'll be adding to those figures.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Shit sorry, didn't see you'd mentioned the Cy Young Award.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dude has a rubber arm, but if he pitches much beyond this season, it could be ugly. I think there is way more chance that we see 2014 or 2015 Sabathia than we see 2017 Sabathia, next year.

When you say no doubter, are you talking about the Hall of Fame? Cause I don't see that. There is a case to be made, obviously. But depending on the other eligible players when he is out for 5 years, I'd guess he is looking at 30, maybe 40 percent as his starting point.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

He was on the very short list of best and most consistent pitchers of his time, all while putting up numbers (wins, games started, maybe even strikeouts) that are unlikely to be topped anytime soon, if ever. He's made 509 starts! Someone would have to start 30 games a year for 17 straight seasons to equal that. #IWasToldThereWouldBeNoMath Of course, wins and games started aren't the be-all, end-all, but durability mixed with sustained excellence needs to be appreciated by the electorate. At his peak (2001-12), he had an ERA+ of 125, which is right within the HOF bell curve. By the time he's eligible, he is going to be viewed as the last of a breed by younger voters not conditioned to the whole "grrr he didn't get to 300 wins, therefore he must not be great" idea.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Shut up about CC Sabathia.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Who are the Nationals starting tonight?

It's past 2:30 PM and the MLB website is still saying TBD.

Isn't there some kind of pre-game deadline to make an announcement? I guess all things are subject to change (like if someone came down with explosive diarrhea), but I would think MLB has some sort of threshold to notify the media and fans with some heads up.

10. Vombatus

Regarding Strasburg and the shutdown a few years ago:

A diehard Nationals fan asked me the following - if the Nationals had some max innings plan for Strasburg, why didn't they start him off more slowly or later in the spring so that he would not have hit that maximum in September?

I don't have an intelligent answer for that, aside from thinking it was a plan based on not making the playoffs, and then... oops.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any deadline other than bringing the lineup card to home plate.

12. Vombatus

And... I just refreshed the MLB website and it now lists Gio.

Draft saved Draft deleted