1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Oct 3, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Rosenthal asks Judge, "How happy are you for Joe?" Judge says, "For Joe?" as if he has no clue what Rosenthal was talking about. I thought it was a good response to a lousy question.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

That, I get. But the ump turned around and walked away before he left the circle.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I don't think the ump saw the ball drop. He immediately called the strikeout and didn't look down at the catcher.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Just watched it again. Jackson didn't leave the circle for a while. If he ran over while the Yankees were celebrating and the game still ended, I think the Indians would have a legit protest.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We just need a football referee. Give ‘em 30 minutes with the rule book and they’ll be fine.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Rosenthal just asked Bird about what it means to win for Joe after Game 2 and how Joe got booed at home (presumably he meant Joe got booed in Game 3). Bird also seemed a bit mystified by the question.

Now, as a fan, I think Girardi screwed the pooch in Game 2. He admitted as much later. But Rosenthal really seems to be searching for a quote to fit a story he wants to write about how the Yankees won Game 5 "for Joe."

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Great comeback @YankeeFan, in spite of the manager. God, no one has ever embodied the Peter Principle like Joe Girardi. Amazing.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Me to my Dad on the phone: "You're 64. They've lost two Game 7's in the World Series in extra innings. They've blown two ALDS with a 2-0 lead, an ALCS with a 3-1 and 2-1 lead and a World Series with a 3-1 lead. It's not gonna happen. Let's just pretend Jose Mesa closed that one out and they won one."

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

And this explains why Major League ends with the Indians winning the AL East. The reality of the postseason would ruin a feel-good story.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Yankees would have got him -- Frazier was gonna get the ball from Sanchez and Didi went over to the bad to get the throw.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I despise Rosenthal for shit he pulled in Baltimore.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, there wasn't. I am glad they didn't mess around.

That said, though, as crazy good as Chapman has looked the last couple of weeks, as a fan I had a sinking feeling when I saw him coming in. It was kind of the opposite of how I felt when Robertson came in. I was afraid it might be an adventure with Chapman going two innings in that type of game. I am glad it played out as just me being pessimistic. When he was sitting for a long time during those long Frazier and Gardner at bats, I was afraid he might come out too cold in the 9th, have no control and then lay a flat pitch over the plate for someone to club. The two insurance runs made me feel better, but until the lsat batter, I still had this worry that Chapman was going to implode.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Dyno likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted