1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017-18 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Nice read from Alex Prewitt here on the Golden Knights.

Saw them live in D.C. on Sunday. The Caps' defense didn't do itself any favors, but Vegas was very impressive up close. They may be the damn favorites to win the Cup at this point, especially if they get home ice in the West.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Highlight goal for Getzlaf tonight. You don't see many like that.

He had just come out of the penalty box as the Ducks killed off two minutes of 5-on-3 with a 1-0 lead in the third period.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Refs screwed them.

4. ChrisLong

No, they usually do, but not tonight.

JC likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

the league that propped up the Ducks hates them.

6. ChrisLong

how so?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Curious to see how the two minor D moves the Caps made play out. If it gets Orpik back to the third pairing playing 10-12 minutes a game versus close to 20, then it'll be a success. I've tooted the horn for Bowey all year, but I think he'd be served best by going back to Hershey for the time being. He's one of the few on a two-way contract and I don't think it's in his best interest to be a healthy scratch. He needs to play every night. But he's a little overmatched right now.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Panthers' tribute to the Parkland victims before tonight's game was first class. Room was stupid dusty.

JC and ChrisLong like this.
  9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

A rare 3-team deal in the NHL that turned out to be so complicated, the NHL didn't approve the initial trade call. But now it's official.

Brassard traded to Penguins in deal with Senators, Golden Knights

Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford must be Merlin or something. Always gets his man and it's almost always a perfect fit for the Penguins.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

"We gave up a lot. But a lot of the things we gave up are futures, and our mandate is to win now," Rutherford said. "We can hang onto those futures and they can probably help three or four years down the line, but what we're trying to do now is win and put the best team out there. This deal gives us the best chance."

I wish the Orioles, Capitals, Redskins and my favorite college teams could all do that, intelligently.

I added “intelligently” since my list included Redskins.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Bruins sign 39 year old Brian Gionta.

Draft saved Draft deleted