1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017-18 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Capitals open for realsies two weeks from tonight in Ottawa, so let's get this started.

Some early thoughts:
    * I agree with Ovechkin. The Capitals will "not be the suck" this year. But they won't challenge for the President's Trophy and will have to navigate that 2-3 series in the Metro to advance to their annual beatdown from the Penguins. Jakub Vrana will have a breakout year.

* Vegas ... I'm interested to see how that roster comes together. I thought they might be OK, but I don't know who other than James Neal scores on the wing for them. They won't finish DFL in the West though. Vancouver looks like a total mess.

* Edmonton takes a leap, reaches the West final and loses. Oilers not quite there yet, but they'll be a blast to watch.

* We'll spend half the season trying to find homes in Seattle for Coyotes' players, but as always, they'll end up staying in Glendale.

* Sneaky team to watch in the East: Carolina. Hurricanes have been plucky in recent years. Could see them reaching the playoffs as a wild card.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I watched the Caps last night and had no idea who half those guys were and realized half of that half will actually be on the team. You have more faith in Vrana than I do, I was impressed by nothing I saw out of him last season. Still pissed they gave away Johansson.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Thoughts on Toronto? Do they make a leap in the East (i.e., top four team) or are they two years away from serious contention?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't watch or put a lot of stock in preseason in any sport. Hockey may be the least useful, since coaches try a million line combos and the team looks different from night to night with people sitting and what not. And yes, still pissed about the Johansson thing. Just awful cap management on GMBM's part. Re: Vrana ... he can't be on a grinder line because he's not a fit there. Maybe he fits in on that third line with Connolly and Eller.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They'll be fun. I think they're a year away at least from SC contention. Need to get better in net and on the blue line.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Wings will be terrible and have no cap space. It's going to be a long winter.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The faceoff rule is absurd. Rescind it now.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why? Players will adjust and the preseason is the perfect time for them to be calling it this way.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Two Vegas games I watched, the men with orange stripes were really following through on the league's emphasis to cut down slashes.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They should do it with the hooking and holding through the neutral zone as well.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Fine with this. But not the face off rule.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's not a new rule it's just enforcing what's on the books.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted