1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017-18 NBA regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 16, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

15 games into a rookie year is not the best time to evaluate a player, especially one that starts for a bad team.
    But, that’s not the standard that BBB and Lavarhave used and promised. The bar is Magic Johnson great. So judging Ball on that standard means he’s an unmitigated bust and needs to develop his game in the CBA, Chinese Basketball Association.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This actually makes a pretty interesting case that often you know what you’re getting from a rookie by this point.

How to Identify an NBA Draft Bust in Just 10 Games

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I couldn't get past all the Markelle Fultz stuff. He's played 76 minutes. Over four games. With a shoulder injury.

Whatever he represents has nothing to do with being a bust after 10 games.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really don't know how you can center that analysis around a player who's logged as few minutes as Fultz. Strange choice.

Lonzo's shooting woes would've been a more apt focus. He's got no injury excuses, and with over 30 mpg for 15 games there's now a significant sample size to judge his game on, yet he still can't hit the broad sign of a barn. It's fair now to wonder if that funky slow-release shot of his is ever gonna work against NBA defenses.

Fortunately for the Lakers, what they may've missed on with Lonzo they made up for with an absolute steal nabbing Kyle Kuzma--their actual best rookie--with the 27th pick.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    sgreenwell likes this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agree with you. I think the overall premise of the piece is interesting and true - Hollinger had a similar point in one of his annals, when he still wrote them, that it was *really* rare for a player to be awful in their first season, and then even a decent pro, nevermind a starter or an all-star. But using Fultz as the headline player seems foolish, since 1) he hasn't even played 10 games and 2) he's out with an injury right now that might have caused his numbers to be skewed.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have seen nothing in this game tonight to make me think the Celtics couldn't beat the Warriors in a Finals. Seen plenty to indicate the Warriors could beat them, too, but this is no mismatch.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Warriors are playing 82 exhibition games. “Boredom” is the only way to describe their season.

Hermes and JC like this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rockets scored 90 last night ... in the first half. Beat Phoenix 148 to something.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When you blow a 17-point third quarter lead, you're not putting on much of an exhibition.

10. Songbird

With Kyrie on the bench no less.

11. Songbird

Heat 104, C's 98

Ends Boston's 16-game streak.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was saying that about his shot all last year, not that I was alone. I can’t see how that works in the NBA.

Draft saved Draft deleted