1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017-18 college microaggressions/safe spaces thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 15, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I mean ... come on, Lipscomb.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

5. Jake_Taylor

Yeah, and even if that was his intention it doesn't necessarily mean the cops handled it the right way.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's the microaggressions thread. Let's get our pronouns right. It was or wasn't THEIR intention.

(Sarcasm, kinda? I can't even discern my own meaning anymore.)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  7. Jake_Taylor

I didn't even think about that. I had just read where this person was named Scott before going by Scout, so I guess I had a male pronoun on the brain. I wouldn't want to be insensitive to a kid who obviously went through hell just trying to figure life out, but I also honestly don't know if I'll ever be able to really wrap my mind around this stuff being so complex.

8. Big Circus

Just fucking with you, Jake. And reading it again, I'm probably being too flip about a kid who was obviously in a bad place even before they got killed.

9. dixiehack

No, you called it. Original AJC story I read said that Scout's preferred pronoun was "they".

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Big Circus

Oh, I knew that. I had read the article. I was making a cheap joke that I like less and less the more I think about it.

11. Jake_Taylor

No, I almost came back with a sarcastic comment of my own, but I really don't know what's appropriate most of the time. It honestly feels ridiculous to me, and the human response is often to joke.

But I do feel bad for people who struggle with identity. I can't imagine what it's like. But then I wonder if I should feel bad for feeling bad. Like, would they be offended of they felt like I was feeling sorry for them?

Big Circus likes this.
  12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This is so good it is epic.
    Well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted