1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017-18 college microaggressions/safe spaces thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 15, 2017.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

For I have walked to the Gates of Hell.

IMG_0087.JPG

2muchcoffeeman and franticscribe like this.
  5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What about Clifford, the bigreddog?

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Communist.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Our dog gobbles down any rotting varmint corpse he can find and swills putrid stagnant water without any ill effects, yet a couple of raisins will kill him? Are raisins some sort of dog kryptonite?

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I find all ventriloquists to be creepy even without inappropriate jokes. Like, every time I've seen one live, I just keep thinking, "What went wrong in this man's childhood?" And because I grew up in the church I keep waiting for the creepy puppet to start talking to me about Jesus. Even if the guy is Jeff Dunham or this guy telling erection jokes, I'm still waiting for Jesus to be mentioned by the puppet accompanied by a song where the puppet screeches out its message.

Gerbert scarred me for life.

Iron_chet likes this.
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am not defending this comic, but a lot of comedy acts include sexual content, references and innuendo.
    A college student probably shouldn't be caught off guard by that.
    Of course, I always believe no language or topics are off limits, but you have to be funny. People are less likely to be bothered by the content if it's actually funny.

Crying seems a bit over the top for adults offended at a comedy show, even newly minted adults.
    Walking out is very appropriate, though. I can't imagine watching as the young lady endures the touching and suggestions while being obviously uncomfortable with it or worse.
    Guy sounds like a creep. The fact that his act includes magic and ventriloquism reinforces that impression.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. They cause kidney failure.

My dogs will eat all sorts of things that would kill them, if I let them. I suppose it's part of our ancient social contract with dogs that we will steer them clear of things that will kill them, in return they will let us know when a danger that will kill us is nearby.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think my dog received the memo regarding her obligations under the auspices of this contract.

Draft saved Draft deleted