1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017-18 college microaggressions/safe spaces thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 15, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It made me wonder if it was fake, but I don’t think it was.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, there were definitely parts of it that seemed like they were staging a debate.
    One of the related clips on YouTube was a local news piece on it, so I guess it's real.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The dude filming that sounds as if he's about to cry.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I noticed that, too. Reminds of when I was 6 and some older kids took my hat and threw it back and forth while I played monkey in the middle jumping and chasing it trying to get it back.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You're taking people's lives away by wearing that hat.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

She said "microaggressions" at about the 7 minute mark!

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I was left wondering about how truthful this video was. Camera was too steady. Her speech seemed a little rehearsed. Any true sjw would have smashed his phone after 45 seconds.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think he was wearing a body camera of some sort on his chest. GoPro maybe, or something of a flatter design.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If that had been a dude who took his hat, he would have punched him in the face and taken the hat back. Maybe.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Global News got its hands on the audio of a meeting between Lindsay Shepherd, a Wilfrid Laurier teaching assistant, her professor and the school's acting manager of Gendered Violence and Support.

It's not good for the school:

There is a University of Toronto professor named Jordan Peterson, who became a news story because he fought against the use of gendered pronouns at his institution. (I can't remember if it was because he was going to be forced to use them, or there was pressure to use them.) Peterson refused to back down, a shitstorm was created. He has a Patreon page that generated more than $900,000 in donations before he took the amount private.

Shepherd showed a TV clip of him debating during one of her classes, and landed in hot water. She even created a twitter page to deal with the fallout, saying she otherwise does not use social media.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is some bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted