1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 College Rings Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That said, there's a case to be made for the coaches of teams that are at least penciled in as one seeds not minding an early exit in the conference tournament. A couple of extra days of rest before March Madness has some value. Whether to consciously decide to take that loss is ok is another discussion.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if it's a rule that the play-in winners always play their next game in the evening session?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Doubt it. At least not in 2014. Tennessee beat Iowa in the play-in game that year and next played UMass at 2:45 p.m.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think Duke has a really good shot at winning the whole thing, but eight losses are an awful lot for a 1 seed.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Twice they beat a team I thought is a No. 1 (UNC).

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, why not cut to the finish and stipulate Duke and UNC get one seeds every year. Call it the Vitale Rule.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Arkansas pulling some goon shit on the back end of getting its tail kicked.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Late Saturday night, UC Davis wins Big West for first NCAA bid in school history. (Joined Division I in 2004.)

Aggies' coach is Jim Les, former NBA player who is better known as Hersey Hawkins' backcourt mate at Bradley. Hawkins' and Les' sons were teammates at Davis a couple years ago.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fun fact: Other than the period from 1953-78 when no tournament was played, Kentucky has never gone more than six years without winning the SEC tournament championship. It has never gone more than five years without winning either the regular season or tournament championship.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is Kentucky's 30th SEC tournament title, just ahead of 27 for Everyone Not Named Kentucky. But that stat that blew me away was in yesterday's game. After beating Bama, the Cats are now 41-2 in SEC semifinals.

Batman likes this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We'll have to wait one more year (at least) before we have an NCAA field without Michigan, Michigan St., Indiana or Illinois. The Wolverines have looked really good the past four days — not even considering the on-the-ground plane crash. They could make some noise in the tourney.

Michigan State is probably in, too — although not for long.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Beware the teams that have plodded along all season, and then get on a run to win four or five games at the conference tournament. More often than not it turns out to be fool's gold.

franticscribe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted