1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 College Rings Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 10, 2016.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

If the case is built in quality wins, they've got a perfectly fine case with the most top-25 and Top-50 RPI wins. If it's built on conference finish, they're SOL.

They probably end up a 2 based on fifth-place optics, but if you go by the framework the committee has used in the past, there's a moderately viable case.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

West Virginia has played three fewer top-50 teams than Duke has beat. It also lost to three teams outside the top-120.

See, I'm looking at the resume, not what a team did yesterday. (I'd agree the fifth-place optics probably has them at a No. 2, but I think there's a case.)

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think it's a three-team race for the championship, and those three teams are Duke, Arizona and UNC, in that order. Maybe Villanova or UCLA gets it done. Maybe Kentucky. I don't see anyone else winning.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So Kansas has no shot?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gonzaga and Wisconsin are Final 4 caliber. Florida State is sneaky good. Virginia's defense will get them 2 or 3 wins, maybe that 4th.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kansas has a very good shot too.

7. Big Circus

Gee: Just don't see it from them this year. Pure gut. I have nothing to back that up.

Songbird: As someone who has probably watched more UVA than anyone, I don't think they can sustain enough offense for four games. Notre Dame showed the blueprint for shutting down Kyle Guy - throw some size at him and he can't get his shot off. I know it's all about matchups, but I'll consider it a success if they survive the first weekend. Maybe that changes if Isaiah Wilkins kicks his bout with Ebola, but the offense just isn't there.

8. Michael_ Gee

Fair enough. A hunch is always defensible.

9. Big Circus

That's the beauty of it!

dixiehack likes this.
  10. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Virginia will lose early and look bad doing so.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't think it is an unreasonable standard to say you can't be one of the top four teams in America if you can't be one of the top four in your league.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

There is a logical inconsistency in the idea that losing in their conferences tournaments shouldn't hurt the one seeds of Kansas and North Carolina at all, but that winning its tournament (three admittedly outstanding wins) should help Duke be a number one, too.

I Should Coco and Neutral Corner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted