1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 College Rings Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 10, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dude, they lost to Arkansas State last week. The Hoyas are ass, a miracle upset of Oregon notwithstanding.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I realize November college basketball is as meaningful as spring training baseball, but hard not to be impressed with Kentucky. They absolutely throttled Arizona St. tonight, 115-69. Haven't really shown a weakness so far.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Long Beach State is at Kansas right now and predictably getting rammed.

Before tonight, Long Beach has played at Wichita State, North Carolina, Louisville, UCLA, and Washington.

Those teams, Kansas included, are a combined 33-6.

Explains Long Beach being 1-7 and soon to be 1-8.

4. Songbird

Jayhawks shoot 67 percent and lead 48-25 at the half.

Very good team. In this case, not because Long Beach sucks but because they played fantastic in the first half.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Seth Greenberg days are long gone. Long Beach only gets to win in Allen Fieldhouse once in my lifetime. :)

Meanwhile, remember when St. John's was a hoops powerhouse? The Johnnies lost to Delaware State, which hadn't beaten at DI team in non conference play since Dec, 2014. DSU's only other win this year was against a D III team.

6. Songbird

That was a great night. Kansas became No. 1 earlier in the day and then lost to Long Beach State -- who? -- at home hours later.

Very gratifying for a Long Beach fan.

I give 'em credit for scheduling the best of the best but I don't comprehend why they are a dreg. Makes no fucking sense.

7. Jake_Taylor

What's Long Beach's conference prospects look like? I remember back in the 90s Coppin State used to go on a tour of the Midwest all through November and December playing half the Big Ten and Big 8. They'd pick up pay checks for the athletic department, come back like 2-8 and then win their league and go to the NCAA Tournament.

8. Songbird

It's an awful conference with a bunch of nobodies.

Was a time it was Long Beach and Vegas and Santa Barbara and New Mexico State and Pacific etc etc and it was an upper-end conference and their games on Big Monday (after the Big East and Big 10 games) were always good viewing. The conference lost Vegas and Cruces and Pacific and added a bunch of nobody nothings and it's a shit conference.

I pull for Long Beach from a distance because it's my hometown but it's a shame that they cannot build something. Great beach town. Funky Pyramid. And yet they can't recruit for shit.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Texas Southern's first 16 games are on the road:

11/12/2016 at UT-Arlington Arlington, Texas
    11/13/2016 at Delaware State Dover, Del.
    11/16/2016 at Rice Houston, Texas
    11/19/2016 at La Salle Philadelphia, Pa.
    11/21/2016 at James Madison Harrisonburg, Va.
    11/27/2016 at Louisiana–Lafayette Lafayette, La.
    11/30/2016 at Arizona Tucson, Ariz.
    12/3/2016 at Southern Illinois Carbondale, Ill.
    12/10/2016 at Louisville Louisville, Ky.
    12/13/2016 at Cincinnati Cincinnati, Ohio
    12/17/2016 at LSU Baton Rouge, La.
    12/18/2016 at TCU Fort Worth, Texas
    12/21/2016 at Baylor Waco, Texas
    1/2/2017 at Alcorn State Lorman, Miss.
    1/4/2017 at Southern Baton Rouge, La.
    1/7/2017 at Prairie View A&M Prairie View, Texas

10. Jake_Taylor

I'm not saying Shaka needs to ask Charlie Strong if he has any leftover moving boxes, but a 3-3 start after getting pounded by UT Arlington tonight is not the kind of Havoc he's being paid millions to wreak.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ever since Pacific left for the WCC, it's a bus conference except for UC Davis and Hawaii. And bus trips to Davis wouldn't surprise me in the least. The Big West/PCAA of the 80s and 90s rocked. Tark in Vegas, Fresno State was very competitive and even San Jose State threw a decent team out there now and then.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Always impressed by how classy and creative Duke students are:

Draft saved Draft deleted