1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 college microaggressions/safe spaces thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 25, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No. The letter is suggestive of why Univ. of Chicago is all that and a bag of chips ...

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I have to say I'm baffled by the contention (not yet seen on this thread, but rampant elsewhere) that safe-space/trigger-warning policies are making students unprepared for "the real world." Don't most adults spend most of their life in the "real world" in professional settings? Isn't that the place where most adults engage in, and become part of, institutions? The workplace is far more restrictive and coddling than any college out there.

In college, I could say "Fuck you" to any student or professor on campus, and the worst thing that would have happened was that I might have gotten my ass kicked. If I said that to a coworker, I'd have a meeting with HR that day. "Real life" is far more limiting on speech than college.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Alabama football of academics, eh?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When my niece was looking at schools, she wasn't interested in visiting University of Chicago.

Word on the street is that it's where, "fun goes to die."

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here's where the courts and civil cases come in. Until we revamp how those settings work, we incentivize hustlers looking for a reason to be offended, and we decentivize free exchange of ideas.

And what's really scary: The "safe spacers" will drive off the moderate thinkers out of nothing more than not saying or thinking things "the right way." They'll silence mild disagreement, which will create a vacuum that only the louts and truly racist/sexist choose to fill, because they revel in being truly racist and sexist.

It's fucked up.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The bookstore, in fact, sells T-shirts that say that.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Really?

The Barnes & Noble? I need to get one of those.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When I was attending a Big Ten school that shall remain nameless, the professor used the business term "Chinese wall," which refers to preventing any appearance of a conflict of interest within a firm. The term's origin, of course, is the Great Wall of China, not exactly a source of national embarrassment there. The next day, the professor had to explain her usage to the class and pledge not to use it any more, as an offended student had complained and gotten her way. Hail to the victor, I guess. Oops. Have I said too much?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Good thing the B-school wasn't teaching about Mexican standoffs.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And that was years ago, right?

Just wait until this latest round of PCBS rolls through. It'll get downright puritanical. Universities are scared to death of getting their asses sued off, especially on the Title IX sexual assault/harrassment front.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

God, I can't imagine how terrifying it would be to have to discuss Dutch auctions.

Hokie_pokie and lcjjdnh like this.
  12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

At these auctions, do they sell ovens? I've heard a lot about their ovens...

Draft saved Draft deleted