1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 college microaggressions/safe spaces thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 25, 2016.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Yes, we do Mexican for st. Pats, but that one is not nearly as fun or well attended by our crew. Irish De Mayo is our classic. We tried an English pub once on Fourth of July, but it was rather lame.

Batman likes this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I usually slap on an ICE uniform and scare my yard guy.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. dixiehack

Right next door to Middletown, Ohio (of Hillbilly Elegy fame) so hardly an area unfamiliar with shootin' irons. But nothing says "miss the big picture" like low-level school administrators.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Trouble Bruin.

Racial tensions inflame UCLA student body election, driving calls for more representation

At UCLA, the furor started with a photo of the undergraduate student body president, making a hand sign associated with the Bloods.

Danny Siegel is white. He was wearing a suit and tie.

Many African American students were angered by what they saw as a man of white privilege mocking their community and clueless about the poverty and despair that drive some in it into gangs.

There were those, of course, who said to chill out, the photo was a joke.

But anger over the image appears to have contributed to the stunning defeat of Siegel’s campus party in last week’s undergraduate student elections — and the intensity of the reaction was the latest sign of discontent among many University of California students of color who believe that administrators and some fellow students continue to slight them and to discount their needs.

Story goes on to mention the segregated Rosa Parks African American Theme House dorm at UC Santa Cruz, and other diversity efforts throughout the system.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The last quote in that article -- "what ... empathy can and should look
    like ..." -- is just too priceless. I'd sneer, but that would distract me from my daily ritual of counting the zeros in my last pay stub.

SpeedTchr and dixiehack like this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cultural sensitivity for thee, not for me -- Yale dean is also a vaunted Yelper. She's totally keeping her job BTW.

Yale dean once championed cultural sensitivity. Then she called people ‘white trash’ on Yelp.

Chu’s biography states she has a PhD in social psychology and touts a long career in which she has “sought to help students not only succeed academically but to support their holistic academic experience and multifaceted identities.”

“If you are white trash, this is the perfect night out for you!” Chu wrote in a review about a Japanese restaurant, which she said lacked authenticity but was perfect for “those low class folks who believe this is a real night out.”

“Side note: employees are Chinese, not Japanese,” added Chu, who identifies in one review as Chinese American. In another restaurant review she said, “I guess if you were a white person who has no clue what mochi is, this would be fine for you.”

In a 2015 review, she called a movie cinema’s employees “barely educated morons trying to manage snack orders for the obese and also try to add $7 plus $7.”

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

She sounds like a real peach.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seriously, WTH is wrong with people?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    She looks like half the population of the UC system, literally. Is it wrong to say that?

12. dixiehack

Sometimes you just aren't a fit for your chosen career path.

Two UF administrators lose jobs over poor judgment

Draft saved Draft deleted