1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 college microaggressions/safe spaces thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ho ho ho. The utter nonsense of this.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd really like to read the dossiers on people like this.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

FTFY!

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The University of Chicago's letter is fascinating. Several serious paragraphs on important issues, including an appropriately stern declaration that "safe spaces" are nonsense. But that takes time to express. And so when he's done with that, he's got to wrap it up quickly because he's running out of space. So it's like, "Yeah, intellectual engagement is often difficult. And unpleasant. Suck it up.
    "And, again, congratulations on your acceptance, and we'll see you soon!"
    A bit abrupt is all.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Oh, my good goodness gracious! Of all the dramatic things ..."

Oh, not that Waldman.

MTM, cjericho and HanSenSE like this.
  6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I wanna see the looks on their faces when they find out all them dildos were less-than-gently used before being donated.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"Snatched up," eh?

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

'Scuse me while I whip this out ...

Hokie_pokie and Vombatus like this.
  9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm going to be the contrarian on the UChicago letter, which read to me as preemptively infantilizing to students. Intellectual rigor aside, I'd hesitate to send my kid to a school that hand-waves away student concerns as "discomfort." The university isn't even attempting to engage with students on an adult level, just appealing to authority. That strikes me as just another method of coddling.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would send my kids there before I would send them to any other American university, and the competition is not close.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Because of this letter?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, the letter just reinforces what I already am well aware of. It's the best university in America if what you're interested in is becoming a free-thinking human being above, say, cashing your degree in for a job at Goldman Sachs, the primary concern these days of its so-called peer institutions. It's everything that a university should be.

Draft saved Draft deleted