1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 college microaggressions/safe spaces thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 25, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

University of Michigan:

A group demanded a space for students of color. Now they say they’re being called racists.

"Because we asked for a space for students of color, people automatically assumed that no white students would be allowed, whereas that’s never explicit in the language,” Vikrant Garg, one of the group’s organizers, told The Washington Post. “That was never an agreement, never anything that we thought about.”

Uh, what?

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Vikrant Garg. Is he the bassist for GWAR?

Big Circus likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. LongTimeListener

Northern Arizona University:

College student marked down for using 'mankind' on paper

"I would be negligent, as a professor who is running a class about the human condition and the assumptions we make about being 'human,' if I did not also raise this issue of gendered language and ask my students to respect the need for gender-neutral language. The words we use matter very much, or else teachers would not be making an issue of this at all, and the MLA (Modern Language Association) would not be making recommendations for gender-neutral language at the national level."

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. LongTimeListener

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When you combine the current obsession over "Cultural Appropriations" with the political climate of the day and college students' constant yearning to be "original," I don't know how any Cinco de Mayo celebration could escape condemnation. Hell, I may take my crew to the German restaurant down the way on Friday, just to avoid any misunderstandings.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That just shows you're a Nazi sympathizer. Ordering the "Polish Invasion Sausage" won't help matters.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's what she said.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I make it an annual tradition to go with some friends to drink at an Irish bar on cinco de mayo.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Do you go for margaritas on St. Patrick's Day to even things out?

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted