1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 college microaggressions/safe spaces thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 25, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Feels like it might be more efficient to group them all in one place after the wildfire spread last year with Mizzou, Yale, Clarmeont, etc.

First up: The University of Chicago sends a letter alerting freshmen thahat they might find some ideas uncomfortable. "Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so-called 'trigger warnings,' we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual 'safe spaces' where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own."

U. of C. tells incoming freshmen it does not support 'trigger warnings' or 'safe spaces'

Notably, the school continues to use the word "freshman."

We also have SUNY Binghamton offering a diversity seminar to RAs, with the hashtag #StopWhitePeople2K16.

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/...-people-program-started-bu-students/89332838/

And earlier we discussed Princeton scrubbing the word "men" from everywhere. Operate The Torpedos

Should be a fun and enlightening year for the expansion of minds!

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My first class (an intro stats course in a masters program) is tonight. I've already been asked by the incoming "cohort president" to allow her a few minutes to address the class. Thinking this could be good ... or not.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This thread has great potential.

Vombatus and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Have the dildos for peace people caught on like they have at your sister campus down south?

UT-Austin Students Snatch Up Free Dildos for Gun Protest

5. LongTimeListener

Students, alumni and spectators eagerly snatched up more than 4,500 donated dildos Tuesday evening at the University of Texas at Austin, preparing to assuage their frustration over a new state law allowing handguns to be carried on public university campuses.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that "assuage" is an anagram for "sausage."

I Should Coco and Vombatus like this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't know why the Maroon used 'freshman' in its tweet, but at the U of C 'first year', 'second year', etc. is the typical language. It's not PC, but I think based on the fact that students can advance quickly with credits and the quarter system so the whole concept of graduating as a senior is messed up.

7. LongTimeListener

All right, Mizzou! Back in the game!

MU changes bathroom labels to promote gender inclusivity

COLUMBIA — Many single-occupancy restrooms across the MU campus that were labeled as "unisex" will be re-labeled "toilet" by the time students return in August.

Sterling Waldman, a social justice chair in the MSA Senate, engaged the support of the MSA for the re-labeling. Waldman said the word unisex excludes people who do not identify as male or female.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wonder how many sensitive types will belatedly learn they're just suffering home bowl syndrome?

Vombatus likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

At my department's fall meeting yesterday (which took FOR FUCKING EVER by the way), we welcomed several new part-time and non-tenure track instructors, and they had plenty of questions regarding this or that departmental policy. One of the newer guys, an Indian PhD student, asked our department chair (a 70-ish statistician who grew up in Lubbock) about what the department policy regarding students who need to use the restroom during an exam (short answer is that there is no departmental policy; handle it however you want to handle it). My chair, though, thought he was asking about that kind of bathroom policy, and the look on her face ("Oh, fuck! I ain't dealing with this shit!") was priceless.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thank god.

And, Seinfeld can do standup there!

poindexter likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was thinking it brings new meaning to being bowl-eligible.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted